What's new

Worth the cost? (1 Viewer)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at the KDF60XBR950 for a couple of months now. I planned to buy it later this year. Now I see the KF60WE610 and it looks great but for $1500.00 less than the XBR. Is the XBR that much better?

David Parrish I know you can help since you had the XBR....:)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
on that particular sony line, i would go with the non XBR. at our store, the WE series has been very reliable and looks pretty good for what it is. however, our XBR has broken 5 times in the past 3 months that we've had it, and when it works, it looks awful. i think they just missed on that particular product.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
What is the biggest diffrence in the two. I know the XBR has the built in tuner but everything else seems the same on the spec sheet.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Huge reflective plexiglass on the XBR ... not so great for viewing ...

The standard unit has a much better diffusion type screen which low glare.

Imagewise ... the same.

Regards

Peter P

Auditioning
I intend to buy the Sony 60 inch, either the Wega or the XBR for my basement HT. Home theater magazine says the blacks aren't really black on the Wega. I know about the reflective screen problem on the XBR, but I don't know how much of a problem that is in the dark. On the other hand, I think the black problem is likely to be more noticed in the dark. The XBR has a "Studio Black" control which I assume is to correct the Wega's problem, but Sony can't say how it's done. Does anyone have data on these issues?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't expect miracles. These special black features give you better blacks alright .. they also give you more black crush to hide black detail. (Not much more than just turning the brightness down and internally punching the contrast up a notch.)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread