What's new

Worth prewiring my house for speakers? Is there a new construction HT to do list? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I am building a new house and I am not making any specific changes, but are there any I should consider? For my surrounds I was just planning on drilled holes through the floor and running my speaker cable through the basement.

Is there another option I should consider?

Is there anything I should consider doing (can't do IB sub) for my home theater while the house is being built?

Thanks,
James

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
James factors to consider for system planning are room shape, (rectangular preferred), room size, and room acoustics. If you have alcoves, or windows compensate for them. Make false walls, use heavy curtains, ceiling tiles, and fill the room with heavy things to tame standing waves. If you go with drilling thru the floor for your surrounds you could either wall fish the wire, or use stands. Stands can lift your speakers three feet above your head and also conceal your wire. As you wire thru the floor, pound out the "TGI" holes that electricians use for wiring high volt and run the low volt wire in there. This will keep it clean and safe.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ask your builder if they work with any contractors for wiring. I'm having a new house built and my builder has a contractor they work through for the non-electrical wiring. This includes coax, network, phone, and speaker cable. They're also installing in-ceiling and in-wall (IB sub) speakers for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks