What's new

Worth it to upgrade to an SVS CS 25-31? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm currently using an Energy e:XL S8 that I bought a few years ago when I moved into this apartment. As I've watched all of my other components, I've been wary to upgrade my sub due to living in an apartment. Here's my current audio setup:

Sony DA3ES
Axiom M40 Fronts
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom M3 Rears
Energy e:XL S8 Sub

I'm kind of strapped for cash right now, so I'm not exactly game to spend massive amounts of money...but I was thinking that this SVS may fill the the need for a better sub.

Anyway...any opinions on whether this would be worth upgrading, or whether it would be alright to use in an apartment?

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Unless you have an amplifier sitting around, look at the 25-31Powered Cylinder. The CS models require a seperate amplifier to run. Yes, it is always worth upgrading to an SVS, IMO.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I know the CS models need an external amp...but I don't have the money for a PC sub now. I had planned on just buying a cheap plate amp...would that be a bad idea?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it would be acceptable to buy an inexpensive plate amp, as long as it can handle the load. However, unless you are going to get a good price on the amp, I think you will still be only about $100 short of a 25-31PCi, in which case I would say just save a bit and get the PCi.

Is it worth it compared to your current sub? YES.
Is this overkill for an apartment? YES...these things are potent. :eek:
Is that OK? YES...:D (actually, I can't answer that for you)

You might consider the Adire Rava for a little less $$, but still supposed to be an excellent sub.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmmmm, now I'm thinking I might just wait it out. I should be out of my apartment after graduation next May, and hopefully into a house. I suppose I would have more money for a bigger sub too :D

BrianAe

Second Unit
If you are tight on money, then wait or get a cheaper upgrade from another company. Especially if you live in an apartment.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I went with the 25-31cs cuz I have an extra rec. around but after a while it wasn't cutting it so I purchase a plate amp from parts express 250w for little over $100 and its sounds awesome. I think it'll be worth the upgrade. goodluck!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I say deal w/ what you got, save your pennies, then get like a PC+ next year !! What a graduation present, eh?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Yes, the SVS is worth it. I'd watch the Hardware For Sale section here at HTF. Seems like I've seen used CS models for sale with asking prices of $300 or less. Surely you can find an amp laying around somewhere that could be borrowed or scavenged until you can buy a plate amp or pro amp. You'd only need 50 watts or so to see a difference from your Energy sub.

If you can stand the wait, then its always worth it to get what you REALLY want, be it a PCi or CS+ or whatever. But if you just can't stand it then I'd buy a used CS and take comfort in the fact that you can always sell it later to upgrade. And since you bought used you'd take a very minimal loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks