Worth it to "upgrade" to a Denon DVD-2800?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Murphy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

My friend has a Denon DVD-2800 and wants a DVD-Audio player so he's given me first dibs on it for around $100. Presently, I'm using a Mitsubishi DD-6030(a rebadged Toshiba SD-3800) in progressive scan mode w/a Toshiba 42h82 RPTV. Is the DVD-2800 that much of an improvement? Before my friend made the offer, I was looking to get a Denon DVD-910 or a Mitsubishi dd-8040 (If I can find one). So I guess my question is: Should I grab the DVD-2800 for $100-$125 or spend a little more and get one of the Faroudja players (DVD-910,DD-8040)? Thank you!

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The 2800 is already a couple of years old. Its a great player, but it does exhibit the chroma bug. Still, for under $200, that is a great deal. The DVD 910 is a going to have a better picture simply because its newer, and the quality of MPEG decoders and deinterlacers have improved.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I think if you can get the 2800 for $100 then that's the way to go. If not the DVD-910 would probably be the one to go with since Denon uses Burr Brown DACS. I'm not sure if Mitsubishi does.

4. Rajj Nair

Rajj Nair Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    I just got a similar deal for a Denon 2800, my older Sony S500D was an interlaced unit but a workhorse, 6 years and not a single problem.
    Seeing the progressive scanned image on a 110" front projection screen, the difference is noticeable and yes the sound is definitely better.
    If you are getting it for less than a 100 bucks, just take it!
    Enjoy!
    Rajj

5. jason-celaya

jason-celaya Agent

Its a great CD player at worst, youll love the navigation speed on it.

6. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I'm still on the fence about which direction to go. I'm wondering if an improved deinterlacer will be that much of a difference for film based DVDs. I only own a few video based DVDs.