Worth It to Add More Ram?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi and Happy Holidays to All

I have a Dell 4400 with 640 Mb of RAM. I just loaded Kodak Easy Share Software, and it seems to have added as much as 2 minutes to my boot time. Would adding another 360 Mb of RAM improve my boot time significantly?

Thanks

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Not sure about boot time, but probably. And it would almost assuredly make the computer as a whole a great deal more responsive. Though I would suggest you add 1 GB or something like that instead of nickle-and-diming yourself.

You should also defrag your hard drive if you haven't already, and make sure it's not too full before doing it (minimum 10% free is a good rule of thumb.)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
At 640MB, what do you you have in there? 2 -256MB and 1 - 128MB? How many slots are available and how much RAM can your motherboard handle. Depending on that, you may be best off trashing some or all of your current RAM and getting 1 or 2 sticks of 1GB RAM to give you 1 or 2 GBs. But definately go for for 1GB minimum. 2BG even better. After that, unless you are a hard-core gamer it's probably overkill. And if you are running at 640MB now, I'm guessing your not a hard-core gamer.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Bryan

Right now I have 1 X 128 plus 1 X 512. I have 2 slots. The motherboard can apparently handle 1 GB. After reading several of the earlier posts, I ordered another stick of 512, and will trash the 128 for a total of 1GB. Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am not a gamer at all.

Happy Holidays

Thanks Arthur

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arthur,

You'll be amazed at the performance boost you will receive
with 1GB of ram.

Be sure to report back to us on your findings.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Arthur, I hope you didn't pay too much for that RAM. I know that current RAM (i.e. RAM that is most popular with current PCs) is cheap, but after a certain point, the older style RAM gets more expensive. It might have been worth your time to save that money and just get a brand new PC. You can take advantage of holiday deals to score PCs under $500 that would have a huge performance boost over your current machine.

Are you running Win2000? ME? At 640MB of RAM are you able to run XP?

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
As well as adding more Ram, You may want to look at what programs are starting when you boot up as the more processes running the longer it will take to start.

Using Run and typing msconfig, you can check all your running processes. Any you are unsure of, you can Google to see what they are and if there are some running you would like to stop a simple removal of the checkmark in the box and a restart of your computer will take it off the list.

Isaiah

Auditioning
Definitely do the Start-Run-msconfig=startup tab-disable all-apply-ok

Leave your firewall on though.

This will only load the basic drivers/programs for windows. Your PC will be much more responsive.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Why did you install Kodak Easy Share? If you have Windows XP, you don't need it to retrieve pictures from your camera. If you don't have XP, you're better off spending your money on upgrading your OS. 640MB of RAM is plenty for most taks in XP. 256 --> 512 is a big difference, but 512 --> 1GB yielded less significant results.

Rommel_L

Second Unit

Arthur,

Like others have stated, adding more RAM will definitely improve your boot time but it is only one of many tweaks that you can do to improve your system. Check this link out for other ideas to further streamline your system.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Hanson

Dell support helped me uninstall Kodak, and get several other issues corrected. I also upgraded to 1 G of RAM. Things are moving pretty quickly now. I also helped my fiance order a Dell for her home. I tried to get her to let me go through the Business Division, but she would have spanked me!

I appreciate the help that each of you has provided.

Thank You and Happy Holidays

Arthur

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro