What's new

worth getting HDTV? or widescreen for that matter (1 Viewer)

Dan Belina

Agent
Would it be worth getting an HDTV, or even a widescreen one for that matter? I don't currently have any dish feeds, and watch cable TV the majority of the time. Maybe 20-30% of the time I'll watch DVD's (the player has progressive out capability however, as well as component (RGB) out).

I thought I read somewhere on here that if you watch cable TV too much on a widescreen there is burn in from the gray bars on the sides.

Just have regular cable TV right now...would digital cable make any difference?

KrisA

Auditioning
It may not be wise to get a hdtv in your situation. In my area, with time warner cable, the first 100 or so channels are still analog. If you get a digital box, you will get some digital extras (program info etc.) but basically the picture is still analog. In my case, the premium channels are digital picture. Certainly the digital picture is quite nice. I do not know if this is the same in other areas too.

If it is possible, the best option for you is to get DireTV or Dish with a PVR. Considering the amount of TV watching you do, you will find that quite convenient. If possible try to get a dual channel PVR like the Ultimate TV or Tivo.

Dan Belina

Agent
If it is possible, the best option for you is to get DireTV or Dish with a PVR. Considering the amount of TV watching you do, you will find that quite convenient. If possible try to get a dual channel PVR like the Ultimate TV or Tivo.
Well, I live in apartment complex...there's clause in the lease about dishes...probably since you have to bolt them to the outside of your building, right? I'll have to find the lease and find the exact wording.

Called the cable company and they're having some free upgrade to digital cable, so as of this week I'll have digital cable.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Digital cable may be an improvement over standard cable, but only in the number of channels, not the picture quality. Most people I know who have gone to digital cable have cancelled it, and gone back to regular cable or to satellite. Satellite looks much better than digital cable, and if you're getting an HDTV you'll be much happier with it if you're on satellite.

You might not be able to mount a dish to the side of your building, but see if they'll let you fill a flower pot with cement and plop the dish in there, or something like that. I rent my home, and I attached my dish to a railroad tie, and it works great. The landlord's happy because I didn't put holes in her roof, and when the wind blows the dish over I go outside and right it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks