1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Worst TV/DVD Studio?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Amy Mormino, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

Some of the threads lately have called various TV on DVD studios the worst (Lion's Gate,Columbia,Universal), so I was wondering if there was any consensus as to which was the worst of them all.

I don't think that its easy to determine because some studios have great prices, but poor quality (Columbia, Lion's Gate), while others have overly high prices in some cases, but much better quality (HBO, Universal). I put more priority on quality, of course, but its hard to justify paying a lot more money for one show than another when you're on a limited budget.

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of Universal, mainly because of the flipper issue. And some of the packaging was so poor (not being able to get the discs of the rings) that the inner part of the discs were breaking.

Also, Paramount is another. I got the JOE SCHMO set and was trying to find a specific episode (without knowing the episode number). Each disc had unskippable and unfastforwardable warnings, legal notices and logos so that it took 90 seconds of waiting before you got to the main menu. Very frustrating.

3. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I am still pissed at Fox over the lack of a second season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Well, I absolutely hate the pricing of the HBO shows, Sex and the City being the biggest one for me, it actually turned me off to completing the series on DVD, and was a factor in me selling off the 4 seasons I already had, not the only one or the main one, but a factor nonetheless.

Lionsgate is not my favorite for a number of issues including types of packaging, and cut episodes.

Columbia I wish had some better quality, and didn't try to show 10 episodes on a disc when 8 on 3 discs is enough to get the job done. I do however like the variety of shows they've put out and the lower price points, lack of extras doesn't bother me because that's typically not why I buy TV on DVD.

I'd say that Warner and Fox have been the 2 studios that I don't have an issue with when it comes to how they've done TV on DVD. Image gets points for the Dick Van Dyke Show, but that's the only Image release I've bought.

So, like Amy said I'd have to say that it depends on what is most important to a person that will determine which studio they consider to be the worst.

5. Casey Trowbridg

Actually, I had to comment on this, because I also wish Fox had put out season 2 of MTM. However, I certainly don't blame them for not putting out something that isn't going to be profitable.

Besides, at least for me, I never expected In Living Color to come to DVD and they brought it to me and that makes up for some of my bad MTM feelings.

6. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

It is Lion's Gate easily, and I am not factoring in that edited episodes, they botched Will & Grace Season 2 episode order and advertised extras that weren't on the DVD and with Alf, they put them in that terrible case which arrived to me with a disc loose.

Paul

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Columbia TriStar for their arbitrary release patterns, removal of original logos (a minor reservation but annoying nonetheless), cramming of too many episodes on one disc, and slipping in edited episodes on a consistennt pasis.

I had no idea of how bad Lion's Gate was because they never released anything I wanted until ALF.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

THere are plenty of companies that make bad releases, but MGM has the annoying habit of not actually releasing things at all.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Well, I think if you look at the shows that they've released rather quickly like Sanford and Son and compare them to shows released not as fast like All in the Family, it is pretty easy to figure out that they're giving a higher priority to the shows that are selling better. Sanford is doing better than AITF so its coming out faster.

If its arbitrary because there's seemingly 6 months between a season 1 and a season 2 of say Married with Children, and say 8 months or more between season 2 and 3 of that same show then while not having it come out the same amount of time may be annoying, generally this is true across all studios, meaning there isn't always going to be 5 months between a release of Frasier or 2 months between a release of Friends.

Their pattern of release may seem arbitrary to us, but it might be sound business on there end, assuming that they are in fact giving higher priority to better selling releases.

I do however think they could do a number of their releases a lot better, and that especially applies to number of episodes on a disc affecting quality.

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Me too. And I wont even go into deviding Season 2 up for Lost in Space.

Two strikes.

11. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

(sarcasm on) Yes, damn Fox for coming up with a way that would allow them to continue releasing the show. (sarcasm off) The alternative would be you complaining how they didn't continue to release the show.

Gord

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I can only speak for Lions Gate based on The Dead Zone Releases. The packaging difference from season one to season 2 ie including an outer sleeve was a solid positive move. I can only assume this was due to feedback on the first set. The second set also includes nonspoilerish plot summaries on the inside sleeve which the first set didn't - they were on the discs themselves.

The menu and navigation for the actual discs was also improved. In the first season episode commentaries were almost hidden. The second season menus are laid out in a much easier navigation style.

Thankfully both sets share the same superior audio and video qualities.

13. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

Sorry it's a small, 'local only' issue but I have to vote for -

Acorn Video ... who else could produce TEN discs with the same 'special feature' on every release??

I am of course talking about Monarch of the Glen seasons 1 - 4 and the interview with Susan Hampshire, and I'll say it again ... on 10 different discs [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I'd have to say Lions Gate. They've acquired some desirable properties like "Saved by the Bell" and "ALF" but they quickly slap them together, only sometimes remastered and only sometimes uncut. With AWFUL packaging, by the way.

Studios like Columbia and Universal pale in comparison to studios like Warner and Fox in the TV DVD market, but my experience with them has been positive overall.

15. Eve Brown

Eve Brown Stunt Coordinator

Lions Gate for the cuts in my beloved shows such as Saved By the Bell and Alf

Columbia for the cramming of episodes on discs

16. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Paramount for not releasing the second season of Soul Food.
    Brothas and Sistas need their Soul Food fix.

17. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Without a doubt Universal. They are overpriced and even at that price there are no extras. On some of these there are extras that could be done without starting from scratch. For
    example, scene specific commentaries recorded by Rod Serling
    for his college tours could have been used. And then for that price, the prints may be questionable. Again witness
    Night Gallery which has errors in its prints.

Universal's response to any complaints are if they sell, we'll consider it. To me, that sounds like drop dead.

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It's hard to "remaster" videotaped series, Dane, but it is possible not to cut corners when working with an analogue videotape original.