What's new

Worst Sports City (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My hometown is a rabid hotbed of sports-related mania. The media like to make Philadelphia seem like Ancient Greece or something, but I've been here my whole life and I love my fellow Philly sports freaks!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The "Yankees Suck" thing is an embarrassment... and demonstrably untrue, which makes it all the more embarrassing.

There's at least one sports club in the Fenway area in which the sadly ubiquitous "Yankees Suck" t-shirt is verboten. Good for them.

(And as for Red Sox fans rooting for the Diamondbacks - and, of course, many did - I thought the theory went that the Yankees lost the Series only because Red Sox fans were rooting for 'em!)

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Is that Sporting News list for real? Miami over Chicago?!? Having lived in Chicago my whole life, but having spent the last year in Miami...the two cities couldn't be more the opposite for sports fans. South Florida is pathetic when it comes to backing their teams, even when they're winning championships. The Hurricanes can't even sell out the Orange Bowl for home games with a National Championship winning team (not to mention the Marlins barely being able to sell out World Series games a few years ago). Simply, nobody cares. Chicago teams may have gone through a major drought in recent years but their fans remain loyal.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Try being a New York fan living in Boston. That is the worst
If it's so bad, why did you ever leave there??? :) I'm sure you could ride that bandwagon back home.
New York fans are the pits and the ones living in Boston are the worst of the worst. They claim allegiance to whatever team is doing best and vanish into the woodwork if they all "S-U-C-K."
One year they love those Jets, next year it's the Giants. Go Mets in the 80s and then go Yanks in the 90s. Go Islanders then Devils then Rangers then Devils again then Rangers again.
Buffalo fans do tend to stick with their teams unlike the rest of the state, but seeing as they are about 8 hours from NYC they might as well join PA. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If it's so bad, why did you ever leave there??? I'm sure you could ride that bandwagon back home.
Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Am I supposed to choose where I live based on sports allegiances?

Look, it's very simple: I, like anyone else, will root for the teams representing the city from which I am from. I am from New York, therefore I root for New York teams. Simple, no?

My team of choice, that I have been supporting ever since I got into football, was the Giants. I also root for the Jets- because they are from New York. If I were to change allegiances to the Patriots, then I would be a bandwagon jumoper. I remain loyal to New York teams even though they truly suck now.

And there are plenty of New York fans who don't support all NY teams. There is a vicious Mets-Yankees rivalry in NY.

People are just jealous because we have so many teams.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If I were to change allegiances to the Patriots, then I would be a bandwagon jumoper.
Had you done this this year then of course you would be. Had you switched last year and remained a Patriots fan this year and beyond that would not be.

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Is that Sporting News list for real? Miami over Chicago?!? Having lived in Chicago my whole life, but having spent the last year in Miami...the two cities couldn't be more the opposite for sports fans
Pat, I agree 100 percent. I live in Chicago now (originally

from southern CT) and a lot of my family lives in Miami.

Having been there many times during the past 30 years this

shocks me as well. There is no comparison to sports in

Chicago vs. Miami. However, they use recreational sports

like swiming, fishing etc as well as pro and college sports.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw on the news down here that this weekend's Dolphins home playoff game will be blacked out due to 16,000(!) unsold tickets...I rest my case.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
It would have to be Los Angeles.
  • How come a city so big can't support even one professional football team?
  • Every time I watch the Cardinals play the Dodgers, by the 7th inning you can see tons of people in the parking lot.
I know the excuses; so much to do outside, great weather, beaches, dining, nightclubs yada yada yada. But why can other cities with the same thing do better?
P.S. Thanks for the Rams

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks