Worst Sports City

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason P, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

I live in Fredericksburg, Northern VA, and as far as pro sports go we got absolutely nothing.

In baseball, the best we have is the minor league Richmond Braves, and that's 50 miles south of where I live. Most people I know generally root for the Baltimore Orioles, but I hate having to look at other states for pro teams.

In football, it's either the DC Skins whom I despise, or the Ravens, another Baltimore team. Basketball is tolerable because of the Washington Wizards, and that's solely due to MJ returning. Hockey... well, I don't really give a rat's ass either way.

The point is, I hate turning to DC or Baltimore for major league sports, so my question is, what is the absolute worst place to live for a rabid MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL fan?

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

My joke answer is Afghanistan,

but really I would think Hawaii (at least people in Alaska can make it to Seattle if they had to).

3. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

There was a poll by ESPN that noted that St.Louis was the best sports city; as far as worst, I'd have to say somewhere in Montana..Helena? Kalispell?

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Montana is the worst sports State. We have no professional sports up here. [​IMG] The closest sports city is Denver Colorado. [​IMG]
    Jon

5. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

The worst sports city that actually has teams already is hands-down Atlanta.

6. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Being from St. Louis I can definately say that I am spoiled by having teams like the Rams,Cardinals and the Blues to root for and I truly sympathize with those living in states like Montana and New Mexico.
    NOT!!![​IMG]

7. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

There was a TSN ranking of best sports cities that had

St. Louis as #1 for 2000. For 2001 it is NYC with

St. Louis falling to #11.

My pick would be LA. They show up late and leave early.

They cannot keep a football team. All this for the

second largest city is prett hard to figure out.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Try being a New York fan living in Boston. That is the worst.

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

What is TSN's criteria in picking a "best sports city"?

I enjoy living in a city (Seattle) that has pro-baseball, football, and basketball and college football (UW Huskies). I wish the Seahawks, Sonics, and Huskies basketball teams were better and I wish we had an NHL team, but all in all I'm pretty happy with my town. Unless we are getting totally stomped, people generally stick around til the end of the game (unless they need to catch the last ferry).

The Mariners will probably have another good year and Safeco Field is a great place to see a game. The new Seahawks stadium will be open next year and it looks like it will be pretty cool.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Jason, if it makes you feel better, I'm a New York fan because I've lived there for most of my life, and have only been in Boston for a year, and New England for 3. I always root for NY, especially the Giants, even when they totally suck, which they now do. And since I moved to New England, I'll cheer for the Pats as well.

Yeah, bandwagonners are annoying. As a Knicks fan, it was quite obnoxious to see those Bulls Jerseys in NY during their heyday. And don't even get me started on 49ers fans.

But Boston fans are so irritating. The whole Yankees Suck! thing- enough already! I don't even like baseball, so it's even that much more annoying for me.

[rant]Attention Boston fans: "suck" means a team plays poorly. Therefore, it is, in fact, the Red Sox who suck, so shut up! The Yankees win all the time, therefore they do not suck![/rant]

Thank you for letting me get that out.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Methinks you're missing the whole point of the "Yankees Suck" thing. It's not about quality of play; it is, in fact, that the very idea of the New York Yankees is loathsome and despicable, from the fair-weather fans to the unlimited resources to just wanting to punch Derek Jeter in the face every damn time Fox puts the camera on him in the dugout while Tim McCarver gives him a verbal blow job to the way that every controversial call goes their way, which leads one to believe that the owner has sold his soul for this run (except who would have believed that Steinbrenner's soul was worth this much?). And it's a way of venting steam over 200-plus years of inexplicably sitting in New York's shadow, despite Boston being the cradle of the Revolution that we built out of swampland as opposed to swindling the natives, by expressing our disgust for its foremost export.

This, BTW, is the sort of thing that comes out of your mouth when sitting next to a college kid in a Paul O'Neill jersey at Fenway Park as he tries to shout down the entire section.

13. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

14. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

You could pick any place in the country that's far from big cities and you won't have pro sports. If it's that important to you, you need to move to a bigger city. If you like small town life, then don't expect Shaq and Kobe in your high school gym. If you're stuck living with your parents, you're young and that's better than having pro sports.[​IMG]
    I grew up in L.A. and it's pretty bad. No passion in sports fans. Games are places to be seen or a pleasant night under the stars. I lived in Philadelphia for a while. They get a little nuts, but man, do they get into it!! I live in Louisville, KY now and we've got successful AAA baseball, but it's more of a college sports town. A big civic debate now is that we're in contention to get the Charlotte Hornets. I'm actually hoping we don't get them because the financial deal seems like such a losing proposition for the city. Oh, did I mention that KFC would be primary sponsor, they would change the team name to the Kentucky Colonels (remember Artis Gilmore in the ABA?), and they would name the arena The KFC Bucket

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I think Colonels has more of a chance since it has historical roots in the ABA. Also, "Kentucky Colonel" has existed long before KFC. Kentucky Colonel is a title granted by the governor of Kentucky for various reasons. I guess it's sort of like being knighted by the queen, although far more trivial. According to KFC's website, Sanders was made a Colonel by the governor in 1935. So Sanders was a Kentucky Colonel, not the Kentucky Colonel.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

18. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Here is the link for the list of 2001.
    Their criteria includes college as well.
    As far as Boston fans hatred toward New York probably
    has a lot to do with Babe Ruth, close proximity and
    that the Yankees have won MANY more World Series than
    the Red Sox.
    I'm sure ESPN has made a list as well, but I was not
    able to find it.

19. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I don't have a problem with a pro team not being here. I guess I just wish the closest team was better/more fun to watch. The nuggets are not my favorite team. Nick Van Exel is not my favorite player.

As far as college teams I have no complaint. Any team that wins the Big Sky conference gets in the tourney.

Jon

20. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

The Sporting News poll is a bit more inclusive than the ESPN poll that I was referring to earlier. With ESPN, it was simply regarding pro sports, not all sports in that particular town. I suppose that's why St.Louis was #1 there.
    Speaking on that subject, however...I find it darn impressive that Knoxville, TN made the list (at #49) simply on their college team (as most who have lived there know - the Cherokees just don't cut it [​IMG]).