What's new

Worst Movies of 2002... (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'll refine my statement a bit. AOTC was the worst movie that I saw last year, and since I'm not going to see any of the movies, that most people consider worse, AOTC will always be the worst movie of the year to me. I did hate it immensely and it isn't a pop-culture backlash. I was a huge Star Wars fan, and that was reduced slightly after EP. 1, but I saw that film 4 times. Ep. II was utter and complete garbage. I won't say more, because I don't want to hijack the thread.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
#3xXx
#2Die Another Day
#1 worst movie of the year goes to Windtalkers
I can't speak for the movies i haven't seen.
The backlash towards AOTC is just the typical pop culture backlash that happens all of the time. The same thing happened to Titanic.
Can't agree with what you said about Two Towers though...funny how you defended one pop culture and attacked another, but not to the degree that others like to.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Obviously this is very opinionated, any only pertains to what movies we actually see.

Adventures to pluto nash, balistics stuff, the madonna movie all looked so terrible that I didn't go.

But I did waste my money on the marketing ploys of XXX, MiBII, Bad company, and Queen of the Damned, and thought they were all equally horrible (In my opinion).

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mr. Deeds had to be the worst movie I saw last year. I think I've outgrown Sandler's humor a bit.

Dishonorable mentions:
MIB 2
Star Wars: Episode II

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I think AotC wwas better than the Phatom Menace, but that doesn't mke it good in any absolute sense.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It happens every time. This is why lists like that don't mean a thing to me any more.

Whenever a poll or so asks for "worst movie" of any kind, immediately some of the 50 or 20 best movies of the genre involved are listed and labeled "total crap", "trash", etc, while apparently the voters "fell asleep" during the movie, "had to leave before it was ended" or vowed "not to watch any movie associated with the specific director/actor/actress again".
Most often it's about absolute blockbusters and widely acclaimed - and loved - films even.

People are more interested to make a point of their own, than to contribute to a serious ranging of movies.

Cees

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

No, that's not backlash. I didn't like the books either. That story doesn't appeal to me. The point was thought that I would never list it as the worst movie of last year since I can understand why people like it. (Backslas is listing it as the worst) It has value on many levels--but not that of a compelling story that sparked with me.

That's why I can't understand people saying they think AOTC has NO value. If you have a morbid curiosity like me, rent either 'Swept Away' or 'Bad Company' and you'll find movies with no value on any level.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a morbid curiosity like me, rent either 'Swept Away' or 'Bad Company' and you'll find movies with no value on any level.
:laugh:
i don't think i have that morbid of a curiosity, so i'll take your word for how bad those two movies are and not see them.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I also have to agree with Britney's movie being total crap. It was so bad, it was terrible.

AOTC, had no redeeming values, but it certainly wasn't the worst.

I still haven't seen MIB 2, because part 1 was so bad, I didn't even want to go near the 2nd. I hated part 1 with a passion! It is certainly the worst movie of the decade!

Swept Away (Madonna's movie) is very good! I certainly didn't expect to like it after all the terrible reviews it got, but I gave it a chance on DVD, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Madonna's acting has improved on so many levels. I agree that the beginning of the movie is really boring, but once you get on the island, the movie takes a complete turn and is VERY good after that. But, I guess that people turned it off, or left the theater, before she got to the island, and of course, their response would be, that it was a terrible movie.

Mr. Deeds - Damn! This movie was T E R R I B L E! God! I was bored out of my mind. I don't think it could have been any worse. Oh wait a minute...If they took out Winona, it could have been worse, because even though the film was bad, at least she was nice to look at, but if she had not been there, it could have been worse than it was.

FULL FRONTAL - I have no idea what year this was made, but that has my vote for the worst film of all time. I was literally bored to tears. Now this is a film that is so bad, it stinks! Don't get near this pile of crap!

These are my opinions only! Please don't flame. All of people's worst films are only opinions. You have yours, and I have mine.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Full Frontal is a 2002 film. It came out in late summer. I have it rented but I haven't watched it yet.

Anyway, here's my early 10 worst list, I have many others yet to see.

1) Sweetest Thing - a horribly awkward, unfunny attempt at raunch humor. Rauch CAN be funny, but there has to be a good joke behind it.

2) Jason X - almost worked as camp, but don't let the film fool you, it's trying to play all sides at once. When it's dumb it says "just kidding", but it also once you to see it as a seriously scary film, or even an action film. You can't try and then say "I meant to do that" everytime you fail. Unless your Pee Wee Herman.

3) Windtalkers - most of the first half has all the style of a high school production, and the acting...ugh. The script might have been the worst script of 2002, including the token racist who realizes his mistake after the guy he picks on saves his life. It's sad when you screw up a paint-by-numbers script.

4) Rollerball - now here's a film that needed a paint-by-numbers script because as it stood this film rarely made sense. Going for over the top action, while pointless, was acceptable to me. But why not stick with the strong base story from the original, a script that actually had something interesting to say.

5) Bad Company - What happens when Bruckheimer/Schumacher make a bad version of their typical crap? This is your answer. Schuey constantly stepped on the few jokes that could have been funny and the 2 stars went utterly wasted.

6) Imposter - gives Rollerball a run for it's money as stupidest SF film of 2002. Sad to see an interesting idea wasted on a glorified TV movie in both production and script.

7) Crocodile Hunter - Ok, I could buy into the idea that when we are with him, it's the show, and when we are not then it's real life. The problem is that the "real life" story is not interesting nor particularly original. Better to have just made a 2 hour version of the show without a hack attempt at a story behind it.

8) Mr. Deeds - I love Sandler. But this film made Little Nicky look like a laugh riot. I couldn't believe how many jokes were mis-timed or outright stupid. I didn't care that they were doing this remake, I can enjoy Sandler take on that film just like I could enjoy Brook's version of Frankenstein. But try to make it funny next time.

9) Pluto Nash - Yet another TV put on the big screen. Randy Quaid creates the worst colorful supporting character since Dan Akroyd in Caddyshack 2. Though people have slammed the premise as the problem that's crazy. Comedy often works best with zany situation. After all is the SF in Spaceballs any different? This script just is mostly unfunny and many of the performances are pretty bad too.

10) John Q - Sheesh, what a terrible script. This story simply should not have been filmed as it was written. Denzel actually is good in many scenes, but the crap around him we are supposed to believe is horrible. More 1-dimensional characters here than on that bus in Speed. Problem is that Speed was an action film and this is supposed to be drama. Horrible cliches involving Duvall and Liotta's interaction especially.

I also had Queen of the Damned, High Crimes, Dragonfly, Clockstoppers, Resident Evil, Van Wilder, and 40 Days/40 Nights in the ballpark, all for remarkably similar reasons (as well as plots) as listed for the 10 films above.

I agree with those that say that some people just like to pontificate from on high and will pick some high profile title to name as "worst" despite the fact that a large group of people are in disagreement. Thus things like "Moulin Rouge" being named "worst" by anybody.

Not your cup of tea is fine, but you should at least acknowledge how consistent a film is at following it's structure and defined tone. You might not like the MR cutting, but that doesn't mean it's poorly done. That would be if it varied inconsistently all over the place in how it was done.

AOTC has many bad qualities to it, but it often succeeds too. Certainly there is a desire to see a jedi battle payoff or a stormtrooper battle that the film develops within the audience.

The method for really judging the worst films of the year would be to give everyone a choice of which films they will HAVE to watch AGAIN (you have to see them to judge them). Do it tourney style till you get down to 10. Not unlike the games like "would you rather drown or burn to death?" ;)

I would LOVE to see every joker that thinks AOTC or Signs was the worst film of the year have to sit through showings of stuff like Pluto Nash or Master of Disguise over and over instead. Those are the kinds of films you come out of and go running for a Moulin Rouge or Signs to cleanse the palate at least.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
I would LOVE to see every joker that thinks AOTC or Signs was the worst film of the year have to sit through showings of stuff like Pluto Nash or Master of Disguise over and over instead
:laugh: true that
I'm thankful we have people like you seth to see all those awful films and tell us about how not to see them.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The worst movie of 2002 that I saw was FeatDotCom. I would put it up there with the worst movies of all time. Though I can't actually say that I've seen it as I couldn't make it through the whole thing. That has only happened with one other movie with me. I'd sit through 12 hours of Pluto Nash over one minute of FearDotCom.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Well I'm one of those people. I think Phantom Menace is terrible. The storyline, that of a pre teen winning pod races and flying space ships just doesn't do anything for me. That and the two main characters aka Jar Jar and Anakin are annoying.
On the other hand I think AOTC is an instant classic.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm thankful we have people like you seth to see all those awful films and tell us about how not to see them.
No, that's Scott and Jason's job (among others). They allow me to fall back into RENTAL mode on these things, which is much more tolerable to me.

BTW, I just saw Full Frontal and would have to disagree with the "worst film" label hoisted on that, though my general enjoyment (but not love) of the film does seem to contradict most popular opinion of the film.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I don't have time to go to the theater just to see a movie and have finally come to the healthy observance that there are too many great movies to see to spend my time renting things out of a train-wreck mentality, so for me, the worst movie of 2002 was:

Austin Powers III: License to Print Money, I liked the first two, but this is pure going through the motions. I bought it twice, but the same schtick three times in a row isn't funny anymore.

2nd was Frailty though that is more of a reaction to all the praise it gets around here. To me it was average, run-of-the-mill direct-to-video bargain bin horror filler. Completely unoriginal, uninteresting even in execution, and relies on the lazy writer tactic of a key character having to be a complete idiot for the story to work.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Damn! How could I forget about the "Devine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and "Austin Powers in Goldmember." I'll have to add those also to my list of worst movies of the decade!

There is not a single moment in either of those two films that struck an emotion in me, besides boredom. Austin Powers was NOT funny, not even for a split second. It was downright stupid! Wait, I did have another emotion, while watching this now that I think about it! ANGER! I was furious, because the jokes were so lame! I was also furious, because everyone that watched it with me, is so stuipd, they actually laughed at the jokes, because they thought they were funny. I think I remember Mike Myers saying on TRL that there were 137 jokes in the movie, but I never laughed once!

Devine Secrets, was just plain boring. Absolutely nothing interesting going on at all. I love Sandra Bullock. They really wasted their chance with her. She could have made the movie good, it only it had a good script, and an actual storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks