What's new

Worst Movies of 2002... (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I was listening to the radio on the way to work, they were talking about the "10 worst movies of '02" where people (not individual critics) voting on a web site, picked the worst movie they'd seen.

I remember "Crossroads" as being number 1 and Attack of the Clones as being number 2! I didn't think that clones was the best movie i'd seen but geeze it wasn't that bad... was it?

Other titles that made the list were Signs, XXX, Men in Black II (which I liked), Master of Disguise, the one with Madonna etc. etc. -- sorry I don't have a link to the site... Anyone? --

Any thoughts?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Signs and Episode II have no business being on that list, considering the numerous awful films released last year. Some people may not have liked Signs, but I find it hard to believe that they would rate films like FearDotCom and Bad Company over it.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
That sounds awfully close to the current poll that is being run on IMDB.

AOTC get almost as many votes for WORST OF as TTT gets for BEST OF....hmmmm :) :)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Men In Black 2 gets my vote for worst film of 2002. I was unbelievably bored watching it on opening night. Nobody involved with the film looked like they were having fun and I was glad that it was mercifully short. Several of the characters had one flat joke after another. The only part that gave me a chuckle was the singing pug. Why? Because I thought that he was cute. I felt particularly sorry for David Cross during his short bit in the film. I feel that he is one of the funniest men alive and he was severely underused.

Garbage.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Men in Black 2 was indeed subpar.. but WORST Film? I guess these just show how little stock people should put in such lists until they go out and do some further searching around for more opinions, or watch the darn thing themselves. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think it's an IMDB thing. I'll make sure to put a lot of stock in it :D

The worst film I saw last year was The Transporter. AOTC is there for the same reason as the Razzie noms - attention. It would be a great world if it was indeed the second worst film of 2002.

Moronic list. Thanks for letting us know :)

Take care,
Chuck

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I generally don't watch too many blockbuster films, which tend to get all of the negative votes. I usually only see a film, if most of the talk and reviews are positve. Using this method, I watched approximately 20 films in the theater and the only film that I really despised was "Episode II - AOTC". I absolutely loathed this movie, and it has ruined all of the other Star Wars movies for me. I highly doubt that I'll see episode III when it comes out and my interest in watching the original trilogy has greatly waned.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think that a list of this kind can't be taken seriously. AOTC was a good film IMHO, SIGNS was mostly excellent, and though I didn't care for MIBII it certainly isn't bad enough to be on a list like this.

Rob M

Grip

Wow, count me in as one of the millions of uneducated people
too stupid to comprehend the complexity of such a story :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Did I effectively kill this thread? Or perhaps a controversial statement provokes discussion.

Ok, if you didn't like AOTC you don't like ham sandwiches.

(omg did he really say that? yeah he did, girl.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't think you killed the thread, Gary. Things are just slow this time of day. Now, if nothing happens in 48 hours, we'll blame you. ;)

Loved AOTC, though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Lists like these are always dominated by the sorts of movies that do big box office numbers and/or have hardcore fans. They also tend to favor films that have an easy target (Britney Spears, for example, whose movie at least wasn't nowhere as bad as Mariah Carey's).

I'm hardpressed to believe that the voters honestly think Attack of the Clones, Signs, or XXX are worse than, say, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Serving Sara, Rollerball, Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, ... You get the idea. Put a list with those titles in and you don't get any publicity. Put the more headline-friendly titles in and get noticed.

If it is moviegoers voting, there's also a higher chance that more successful films will be considered the year's worst simply because more people will have seen them.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
AotC is singled out because most people saw it, and many were disapponited by it. Crossroads is because it's the movie that people are most embarrassed to see. Neither picture is among the worst of 2002.

Mark

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
whatever happened to all the people that were saying how much better it was than phantom menace? all the people saying that they were excited for the star wars franchise now?

sam

david stark

Second Unit
the bottom few films from last year that I can remember. I do generally try and avoid films that are slated and I think I did quite well last year in avoiding the really bad films.

xxx
signs
from hell (I think this was 02 where i live)
halloween: resurrection
queen of the damned
reign of fire

certainly from those from hell, halloween and queen of the damned stand out as a step above the rest in terms of piles of smelly stuff.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The backlash towards AOTC is just the typical pop culture backlash that happens all of the time. The same thing happened to Titanic.

But for discussion's sake, I hated "The Two Towers." I was bored to tears and found it completely uninvolving. But I also wouldn't count it near the worst films of 2002 having seen groaners like 'Bad Company' '& Swept Away.' Even though TTT didn't get me I could appreciate much of its craft, and I can't imagine anyone honestly saying that AOTC had NOTHING of value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks