What's new

Worst interruptions while watching a DVD (1 Viewer)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I get furious when someone interrupts me while I am watching a movie or listening to music. It takes me out of the whole experience and changes my mood drastically. Unfortunately, it happens way too often to me, especially when I am watching a DVD. These are the worst examples of the interruptions I've experienced:

- I was watching Moulin Rouge and during the "Your Song" sequence, I heard a knock on the door. I thought it would be neighbors complaining about the noise, but it turned out to be a cop dropping off an eviction notice for my mom to read. I don't know why I chose to keep watching the movie after that. To top things off, the disc kept skipping and stopping, further ruining the experience.

- Today, I was beginning to watch the extended cut of The Fellowship of the Ring, when my dad tells me to stop watching it while he does some stuff around the house. I had only gotten to the point in the prologue where Galadriel mentions how men "above all desired power". After leaving me waiting for over an hour, he expected me to start watching it all over again. I decided not to, as I was just not in a good mood anymore.

What's the worst interruption you guys have experienced while watching a DVD?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I've had a number of experiences where I was watching classic films that were broken up because my roommates thought the films were "obscure and boring." Video games were a priority versus Sunset Blvd. or The Best Years of Our Lives.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If you get that upset at interuptions, I'd suggest that you don't have kids, or else be prepared to not watch any movies for about 18 years. :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
If you get that upset at interuptions, I'd suggest that you don't have kids, or else be prepared to not watch any movies for about 18 years.
I guess my wife and I are very lucky. We have a 3 1/2 year old and an 11 month old. They are both in bed at about 8:30 p.m., and very seldom do they wake up.
We usually get our evening movie started shortly after 8:30. Our main interruption, without question, is the damn telephone! :angry:

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I could go on and on about bad interruptions, but instead I'll share with you my best.

One day I was watching something (the title escapes me at the moment) when my daughter was playing next door with the neighbor boy. They had been outside playing, when my wife was getting ready to leave, (she was taking my daughter with her) and asked me to go get her. Of course I begin to grumble, but go to get her. Well, she wasn't out playing. I figured she went into the neighbor's house. So I walked up to the door (this was in the middle of an extremely hot summer day) to knock, and through the door I noticed the neighbor's mother laying on the floor watching television. The groovy thing was that she had on a sun-dress that had ridden up, so to speak. And you guessed it, she was only wearing the aforementioned sun-dress. Talk about a sensation of creepy peeping tomness, embarrassment, and glee all in one package. I knocked (as this was all in one motion, I was knocking as I noticed her nudeness), and immediately wanted to hide. She shot up in a hurry. Turns out the kids were playing in the back yard. So I guess the point of the story is if I have to be interrupted, I'm glad a nude female was involved.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
My dad is a built in distraction. From about the time the studio logo pops up, he doesn't stop talking for the first five-ten minutes of the movie. Here's a typical conversation.

[Studio Logo]
Dad: I've seen this!!
Me: Shut up

Dad: Son, I think you've got the wrong aspect ratio, make it fill the screen? (For fullscreen movies)

or

Dad: Can't you make those bars go away? (For 2.35:1)

Me: It's right, shut up.

[Movie Starts]

Dad: This is a terrible transfer, look at all those artifacts. (He'd probably even say this if we were watching AOTC.

Dad: Is this DTS Dolby Digital?

Me: Would you PLEASE shut up.

After that, my mom and dad will usually yell out the names of familiar actors for the next few minutes, then finally shut up. It doesn't really get on my nerves anymore, it's basically become a ritual.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I second that! How could you write that in your post and not elaborate???
Well, I did get evicted, but it happened over a month after that incident. It was a terrible experience, but thankfully, I'm living in a much better apartment right now.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, as Joe and Paul have pointed out to you, Kristian, being served an eviction notice by a process server or police officer is far more pressing a concern than whether the experience of watching Moulin Rouge! is properly savored. Sometimes life has a way of interrupting with one's aesthetic goals.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I never meant to imply that being served an eviction notice was not my primary concern at the time. It was. But when bad things happen to me, I usually watch a movie or listen to music to keep myself from getting too depressed. Sometimes it helps make me feel better and sometimes it doesn't. This particular experience was an example of the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks