Worst HT subwoofer!!??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DorianBryant, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

O.k. Right now I have spent alot of time buying and selling various equipment to find what I feel really fits.

My next and last (yeah right) goal is a decent subwoofer

I currently have a 10" RCA Pro subwoofer. I know RCA! I have had it for a year and a half. I bought it new for $79.00. MSRP was $279.00.

It actually does o.k but I want to know who out there has or has had the subs posters really love to flame.

The subs like KLH, RCA, etc.

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

My first "subwoofer" was a $50 (overpriced) BSR unit that I bought from DAK a long time ago. It was intended to be a supplement to 80s vintage boomboxes with insufficient boom. It was really all I dared use for apartment living.

When I had an opportunity to turn it up a little, it sounded kinda like two gift wrapping cardboard rolls banging together.

I think it might've been voiced to match those Bose 701s that I owned for about 2 days before returning them.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When I started out, not counting when I was a teenager. I picked up the Kenwood 504 HTiB with a Sony WM-40 to go along with. After many sub purchases I see how bad I really had it. I tried that little 8" Kenwood sub again just for the fun of it a few months back and I really had to laugh. It doesn't quit compare to my three SVS 25-31CS+s[​IMG] I have had many other subs also but the Kenwood would be the sub that would be on the same playing level as the RCA you mention respectfully. I have seen many posts in regards to the 8" kenwood sub being the worst piece in their HTiB offerings. I would agree.

I think my worst disappointment was a sub I had built. It's all water under the bridge now.

4. kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^ Agent

I had the KLH 100w 10" HT sub from best buy 4 or 5 years ago when i was in like 9th grade. It was pretty good for me considering i was in a small bedroom... The enclosure rattled and made vibrating noises a lot though. That was the worst home theater sub ive had. After that i had a JBL PB10 150w 10" sub that did pretty good. THen i got a 12" 300w RMS sub that was very nice although i cant remember the brand. Hopefully the sub i just ordered (MTX SW2) wont be the worst HT sub I've owned...

5. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

If Bose called their "bass modules" subwoofers then it would definitely be those.

"The module delivers the clarity of pure, low-frequency reproduction down to the lowest frequencies, even at the loudest levels."

Bwahahaha!

brad cook

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

what i hate about bose is the way they trick people with their unfrair displays.

a JBL rep was in out store the other day and she off hand mentioned how a certain other company would not allow stores to display their porducts near JBL (or any other brand for that matter).

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

There is no "Bose of the subwoofer world" to my knowledge.

The KRELL super-mega-showcase subwoofer comes close, not because it sucks, I'm sure its very nice. But becuase its $25,000 price tag would but you 50 excellant subwoofer for a variety of manufacturers , some of which would likely outperform it. (I'd know for sure if SVS or HSU ever did a comparison [​IMG] )

8. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I had a customer that bought a system at kmart it was venturer, I hooked it up (charged her more for that than the unit cost her) and she said why's there no bass, I brough in a speaker I had in my truck just a little bookshelf bic, they had the same size "woofer" the bic actually had better bass because of teh enclsure design

9. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

For companies that actually make subs, is KLH the worst? I bought one for my Dad from UBID. 50 dollars delivered. It was on par with the RCA I have. The speaker felt like a frisbee. Very stiff and felt like a piece of plastic. Makes noise but not sure about bass!