What's new

Worst gaming information you've been fed by a salesman (1 Viewer)

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
Last night when picking up PGR and the HD pack, the counter salesman asked me if I had Halo yet. I replied no, he told me that when I DID get it, because of my HD, I would be able to play Halo in, get this:

720i

No, not 720p, which we know it doesn't play in, 720i. A resolution which wouldn't even look better than 480p. So I was wondering what was the worst piece of misinformation YOU have been fed?

Jeff Chiusano

Auditioning
Hmmm, I wonder how many TV sets can output a 720i signal..... ;)
Probably the worst info I had been given lately was an EB employee telling me that the XBOX didn't require the DVD Playback Kit to play DVDs. He said that was just a rumor. Really, huh?
Jeff

ChrisV

Second Unit
Well, it didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine's brother got an xbox, and then when he was asking if he should buy one of the a/v packs, the guy told him that there would be no difference between composite and component on his 36" Wega XBR. So now, he won't buy the HD A/V pack, and we're stuck playing his box with a composite connection. Booooooooo :thumbsdown:

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
on the other end, i was at the video game store the other day while some lady asked if they had any "x-cubes" in stock.

the worst piece of misinformation fed to me by a video game salesman is always "sure it'll be in tomorrow"

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
The salesman at Futile Shop has told me everyday that I've called since Nov 18 that the GameCube component cables will be in tomorrow for sure.

jeremy

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One of my friends was told by a salesman to buy GTA3 right now since it was being recalled and then banned in America. He didn't mean Australia, he was trying to make a sale.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The salesman at Futile Shop has told me everyday that I've called since Nov 18 that the GameCube component cables will be in tomorrow for sure.

Next week I could understand (he'd be guessing in any case), but not tomorrow. On the systems there sales people can see what's in stock and what's in transit. If it's in transit, it means it's actually already on the way and will be there that day or early the next day (at least in our store, time could vary for a store that isn't located in the same city as the Warehouse).

We don't even have SVideo cables yet.

The only thing that I can think of right off the top of my head is a discussion I had with a guy who ran a game rental shop trying to convince me that the N64DD was gonna be a hit. He wasn't trying to sell me it, he was just blindly following Nintendo (which unfortunatly put him out of business).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When I had just gotten my N64, a salesman at a store was telling me about how the 64DD would be out within the next 6 months and that he had played games on it. We all see how that turned out.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
While buying a DC game an EB salesman told me that I would be able to play DC games on the X-Box. He said Bill Gates felt bad for Sega and decided to incoporate this option in the system. I thanked him and quickly left :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One kid at my school was saying the X-Box would be better than the PlayStation 2 because it could play PS2 games also and with better graphics, but when I told him why that would be stupid on MS's part (and Sony's) he was offended.

Not a salesman, but rather just a very misinformed person.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've heard a couple people say that the XBOX plays all sorts of discs - PS2, etc... Did some magazine say that? Or how did so many people get that idea?

-Dave

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Last year, someone was saying how the X-Box would be capable of playing PS2 games (either because of its power over the PS2 or because they could make an emulator to run off of the HDD, I don't know why) and everyone saw that as "MS is making the ultimate gaming machine that will play everything."

There were also plans for an emulator that would play PS2 games.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw an actual Playstation disc was at a Good Guys store, being brought somewhere by a salesdroid, and I saw that indeed the playing surface of the disc was black. I asked if all Playstation discs looked like that and he said there were (which is true as far as I know) but he also said it was because the Playstation had a blue laser!

I never got my own Playstation but got a PS2 this year; when the Playstation magazine with the demo discs first came out I bought one just to see if the black disc would play on a regular CD player (it does, and will play any audio tracks that may be on it.)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I can't remember where I heard this, but someone told me the Saturn could play Genesis games, because it had a cartridge slot in the back.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what the source of the Saturn playing Genesis games was, but I know a major UK retailer (Dixons) printed that it could accept Mega Drive carts in their adverts for the Saturn.. Doh.

I think the memory cartridge slot caused people to think that. I certainly don't recall Sega ever suggesting it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks