worst dvd ever

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John-Miles, May 26, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well maybe not, and i really just posted this to vent, but also i want to know if there are many dvd's liek this out there.

I recently bought Highlander III Final Dimension (the more expensive directors cut) and I figured it would have been a good dvd, you know at least somewhat acceptable, I am a fan of the highlander series and the movies so even though the plots make no sense except as stand alone movies i bought it.

then lo and behold I discovered the movie is not anamorphic, and it has no SURROUND SOUND.... what the hell, only stereo?????

are there many dvd's out there like this? talk about skimping on the customers there.

sorry rant over.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Posts about DVDs belong in the Software forum.

M.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

As far as I know the only version on video is the R rated "unrated" version. In 1994, not all films, especially lower budget affairs like Highlander 3 were created in 5.1

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    You haven't seen "bad" until you've seen Madacy Entertainment's DVD of Metropolis.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Patrick, I was just about to mention that same disk.

7. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Heres another vote for the Madacy version of Metropolis! [​IMG]

8. JoeMKal

JoeMKal Stunt Coordinator

the worst DVD I have ever read about was fantasy mission force on Kung Fu Cult Cinema

apparently the video and audio was captured from a VHS, and theres no menus, you just pop it in and it plays

I have rented the VHS myself which is of really crappy quality, and as for the movie, one of the most confusing, weird pieces of crap I have ever seen, not to mention it has really bad dubbing

probably the worst jackie chan movie I have seen

9. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness- An early Image/Universal release.

The Stunning Features-

1. No Menus! Just loads to a chapter selection screen.
    2. Only about 8 chapter selections, randomly placed throughout the film.
    3. No special content of any kind!
    4. Poorly compressed, washed out, grainy image. Also non-anamorphic.
    5. 2.0 sound mix, in stunning mono-sounding stereo!
    6. Snapper case.

And it's OOP.

10. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Universal's print of SCARFACE a few years ago. This film DEMANDS a BETTER transfer...worse than VHS picture quality at times!

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

13. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Five Corners (Distributor Front Row Entertainment) is full frame and the dialog comes out of the L/R mains with no center channel usage at all

14. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

To address the issue in the topic header...IMO the worst DVD ever...

...is a tie for every movie that is not OAR.

(From there on out, it's a battle for second place!)

[​IMG]

15. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

In terms of absolutely horrendous video quality:

1) Outland - widescreen & anamorphic but looks like a homemade 3rd genereation VHS copy...had to grit my teeth to watch it.

2) The Last Emperor - gritting my teeth didn't help...I watched 30 minutes of it over a year ago and have never put it back in...the video is so bad I'm afraid it will break my DVD player...

If you're looking for BAD...these two are true benchmarks!
    Wyatt

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Wyatt, IIRC Outland is labeled anamorphic but isn't really.

17. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

You must have bought the Seville version that is available on this side of the border (Canadian DVD companies are equivalent to crap in my opinion...and don't get me started on Alliance Atlantis!). Last week; while doing a little cross-border shopping, I picked up the Dimension Home Video version that is available in the U.S....Special Director's cut. It is Anamorphic (I checked by switching to anamorphic display on my machine) although on the box it says 1:85:1 when it actually looks like 2:35:1 to me. It also says that it is in Dolby Digital Surround. Only watched a bit just to check the anamorphic image but from what I could tell, the image looks decent enough.

You might want to search this one out online or on a trip across the border.

18. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

Dennis,

I looked up Outland on DVD Empire and then looked at the DVD case - both of which indicated anamorphic. I was surprised to see that...its been quite some time since I watched it and it seemed odd that they would go to the trouble of anamorphic for such a poor quality DVD...anyway, my widescreen RPTV is out for repair so I had to go by the info I had....

Wyatt

19. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I'm gonna say the original Highlander DVD. THe video quality was something else, and some of the features were unusable, as far as I remember.

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I haven't seen anything from the major labels that can compare to some of the 'bargain-bin' ones I've seen. The biggest problem with these companies is that they use analog videotape sources as the masters, with visible dropouts and stretch marks (horizontal lines appearing like they do on worn VHS tapes- there's a big one in the first few minutes of Madacy's Metropolis disc.) You have to wonder if anyone bothered to look at these before mass-duplicating them. The most memorable ones I've seen include Boy in the Plastic Bubble on the defunct D-Vision label- not only is it from a poor-quality video master (and the film transfer on it is pretty bad on top of that) but there's a moment where the tape JUMPS FORWARD as if someone leaned on the fast-forward button for a second! Another one that I watched after it was returned by a customer at the store I work at was Algiers on Alpha Video- the customer said she thought "someone had recorded over it", and it turned out to have sound from another movie audible over several scenes, in some cases louder than the sound from the movie you were supposed to be hearing!