What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
The Dracula cover is interesting, because they are definitely going for something (if not succeeding in some folks eyes). 99 times out of 100 I'd take the 1-sheet art, because it IS art, not just packaging/branding/etc.
What's sad is when we get poor photoshop mash-ups that ape the original posters (like the latest Star Wars dvds). Or something like To Live and Die in LA, where we ALMOST got the original art, but then someone popped a new head on William Peterson (which looks like it might pop off just as easily).
Still, some studios do a great job (WB comes to mind). I design for a living (barely), but like most HTFers I'll take the proverbial brown paper packaging if the film itself is done right!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As far as that Kubrick set goes, I could care less what the box looks like; it's the cover art for the movies themselves that matters.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The problem is that most of the major titles have already been released once on DVD and are now being re-released so the marketing departments are trying to put a "fresh face" on their releases. If the poster art was used for the previous release then they're going the photoshop route for new cover art. :frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I think the new cover has more to do with Witherspoon than it does with Broderick. In the original cover Witherspoon's face is zoomed in enough to make it hard to tell it's her. She's won an Oscar and is popular, so the new cover makes more sense from a marketing perspective.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Why you should never fit a load of people on a cover and what is with that blue?

Thankfully, the SE is so much better:

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Plus, while I really do like (and indeed prefer) the original poster, it's not really clear from the image what the film is actually about. Whereas if you were to look at the new cover, you could know pretty much immediately what the general plot of the film was - there's a girl called Flick running for school president, and there is a teacher who is unhappy about it for some reason. It thus does a better job of communicating what happens in the film, if not the harsh and satirical tone of the film.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I really "love" how the photoshop'ed Jessica Alba's hair to make it more poofy. Looks really horrible. Almost as if she is wearing a wig.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I actually like that Bluray Dracula cover. Kind of reminds of what Pioneer might have put on their LDs. I think its better than the 4 headleys on the original poster.

My fav from Pioneer LD was their Amadeus SE artwork.

edit: Here it is. I ate macaroni & cheese for a week to buy this LD. I couldnt afford it but had to have it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eeew.
is this a sequal to the other one ving rhames was also in?

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
He's playing a different character and it's a different creative team (as far as I know) from the Dawn remake.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Great choice. I'd love to be a fly-on-the-wall during the planning meeting for that cover.

"yeah...lets do a pee soup Exorcist thing!"
"That's great...everybody loves the Exorcist...let's have eyeballs and other body parts apearing..."
"...flying out with the pee soup vomit!!"
"Yeah, yeah! That's it! It'll sell!!"
(hi-fives all around)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I hate all the covers for the Disney animated film re-issues, platinum or otherwise; they all follow the same uninventive formula: two (or fewer) main characters' heads on top, title in a plaque on the middle, supporting cast on the bottom. Offenders include: Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, Jungle Book, and the upcoming 101 Dalmatians and Aristocats reissues. Can't they come up with good cover art or, failing that, use the original release posters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks