What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Not sure if you've seen the movie already, but Spacey's wig looks much worse in the actual film. I've seen low budget highschool productions with better wigs. As I was watching the movie I was thinking the wig was intentionally terrible and would be explained in the film... but it wasn't. It was just one of the worst wigs in movie history.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am really tired of studio's putting the big freaking craniums of the actors on the front cover... good lord...

The superman one would of been ok if the three heads at the bottom were not there...

R~

ArthurTHX

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur
The artwork on the R2 packaging of the various Superman re-releases is vastly preferable.

--THX

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How about the new Brady Bunch: Complete Series? This is taking show-inspired packaging to an absurd level. Astroturf?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
They put turf on top of Six Feet Under. Why not?

Consider the other possibilities, given that this is Paramount:
1. Packaged in a pair of double-knit polyester reversible slacks;
2. Miniature Brady home;
3. Cousin Oliver head;
4. Minute Rice box;
5. Sequined jumpsuit with sound chip playing "Keep On."

The possibilities are truly mind-boggling.

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
The Wedie Collection is the worse cover art I ever seen (Revenge of the Nerds box set)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
If it was a Cousin Oliver head, no one would buy it... and everyone would blame poor Cousin Oliver.

;)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Three High Profile releases, two from the otherwise terrific company Warner Bros, are more than worthy of this thread:

Blood Diamond - despite Djimon's oscar nomination for this role, they've photoshopped him into an unrecognizable smooth-skinned Derek Luke impersonation: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...d-diamond.html Note that in the 2 disc cover art, he has not been transformed into Derek Luke.

The Fountain - Utterly hilarious of the new Tristan & Isolde direct-to-video sequel-er, Darren Aranofsky's most profound work: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-fountain.html

Little Children - This one is just stupid. Note the tentative cover art, posted below. That's from the beautiful theatrical poster. Then look at the revised cover, and try not to laugh. There are people at New Line who think the new cover is actually a better idea. http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-children.html

Regards,
Nathan

baracine

Agent
Real Name
Benoit Racine
The worst DVD covers have to be the generic, cutified, barf-inducing, kitsch reinterpretations of classic characters on every single Disney animation issue. I know they're giving a chance to new, young artists but shouldn't they check that the final product has some passing resemblance to the characters as they appear in the actual animation?

A recent case in point: Peter Pan Platinum Edition.

Which wasn't much of an improvement on the Special Edition:

Or the Limited Issue:

If they were Hong Kong bootlegs or Japanese Editions, they wouldn't look much different.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
This dinosaur reminds me of a children's bath toy. Not to mention his arm seems to be cut off.

Then there's this hmmmm....

Completely different movie from the same studio.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I've been laughing through this thread. :) My vote so far would go to Real Genius. Modern Problems is pretty close, but it's awful hard to beat that hideous DVD cover for Real Genius! Where do they get the idiots that make these covers?? Are these supposed "artists" retarded? Val Kilmer looks like some kind of disfigured wax dummy on that DVD cover. And some guy who gets paid to do this kind of stuff worked on this and made it that way? How could anyone have such incredibly bad taste to think that looks good, or be so utterly incompetent that he can't do better than that?

It's truly pathetic. :)

Honorable mention has to go to that R2 Journey to the Center of the Earth DVD cover. You know, the one that looks like an 8-year old drew it with crayons. lol! :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The sad thing about that cover is that it comes from a banner ad for when The Full Monty was released for the first time on DVD. It looked bad then and it still looks bad now. To boot, no new anamorphic transfer. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Really fun thread. I'll have to check my collection because I know I have a ton of lousy covers.

Oh, speaking of plastic dinos, the VHS of the old TV movie The Last Dinosaur has some of the worst box art I've ever seen. Looks nothing like what's in the movie. I couldn't find any images of it.

Also, Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol 10 features a plastic T-rex prominently, but none of the flicks have a T-rex. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks