What's new

Worst deals ever.... (1 Viewer)

Magnus Nord

Agent
My worst buy ever how much i hate to say it is my 'Donnie Darko' DVD.. its my favourit DVD.. but still.. i bought it at play over a year ago.. (i think it was a year ago).. and when i opened it when it arrived.. hurrah! extra TAX and TOLL-prices.

o/ o/ o/

the final price was like 47$ or something.. that sucked.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Best bad deal I saw was just the other day.
Desperado/ElMariachi double feature
I got it at WalMart for 9.44
FYE = 39.99

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
My biggest problem with Columbia House is that you have to pay full SRP for the obligatory purchases, which is usually $5-10 more than I would spend at Circuit City or Best Buy. In the end it doesn't seem worth it.

When I was a member they did offer me deals, but it always seemed like they were trying to scam me so I just ignored them.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Spreadsheet...they make their deals (in Canada, anyway) complicated and poorly worded sometimes...get EXTREME clarification. There is no doubt in my mind they purposely do this to confuse people...it does seem dishonest. And I agree, for those in the know most are not good deals...but sometimes they are. I guess this thread is about shopping around, and it's quite obvious to me that many people don't, probably most of the masses. Also, in many places people don't have access to a cheap B&M, and many are still uncomfortable about online ordering.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I was at Fry's the other day and saw one of my favorite childhood movies on DVD, "Fiend Without a Face," on sale and practically jumped over someone to get it. I promptly put it back though since they wanted $24.95 for a 71 minute movie. It had virtually no extras either. Nice cover though, but not for 25 bucks. Why is it that these classic horror gems are always so darned expensive?

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Fry's the other day and saw one of my favorite childhood movies on DVD, "Fiend Without a Face," on sale and practically jumped over someone to get it. I promptly put it back though since they wanted $24.95 for a 71 minute movie. It had virtually no extras either. Nice cover though, but not for 25 bucks. Why is it that these classic horror gems are always so darned expensive?
Assuming it was the Criterion edition, $25 is actually a good price. MSRP is $40!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Hmmm, didn't look to see if it was a Criterion edition or not. I have seen it numerous times there though and they have only 1 and it is never sold. I will have to check it out since you might be right.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The best one I ever saw was at DVD Empire. It listed the list price, and 'your price' was $1. higher. Then it had the gall to add 'you save -$1.00'.

Glenn

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Not a particularly bad deal, but just one of those "d'oh!" moments.

When I first started buying DVDs, I made the mistake of purchasing Braveheart at Tower Records for the full $24.99 price. When I got home and opened it, however, the security tag had somehow detached from the case and stuck itself to the playable side of the disc. I didn't even want to try to take it off, so I put it aside to return the next day (it was late).

Well, when I returned it the next day, the girl at the counter agreed to exchange it, and turned right around and picked up a replacement copy for me from the rack of re-priced sale DVDs waiting to be shelved behind her. Before she scanned it, she had to remove the $19.99 sale sticker.

All I could think was, "D'oh!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks