What's new

Worst deals ever.... (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm guessing allot of folks in this forum enjoy a common hobby...shopping around for cheap DVDs.

But occasionally you get confronted with the 'Worst Deal Ever'...

While shopping at a local Coconuts, I was assailed by two bad deals:

- Born on the 4th of July (new) 4:3 transfer - $34.99

- Scarface (used) 4:3 transfer - $24.99

Ouch!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What about Willow on laserdisc- $69.99, no extras, and several copies developed laser rot!
Pauly Shore's "Jury Duty" for $39.99 is another good one- wonder how many they actually sold at that price??

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Just yesterday I was at the new Fry's store in Irving and saw that they had two copies of SNIPER, both of which were marked $27.99. This thing's been $9.99 ($9.44 if you shop at Wal-Mart) everywhere for, oh, three years!

What a deal! :)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite "worst deal" I ever saw was last Christmas at a Toys-R-Us. They had "101 Dalmatians" (live action) sitting out for $24.99. And two rows down on the same shelf, they had a two pack of "101 Dalmatians" I & II for $19.99! I guess part II was so bad they had to pay you $5 to take it off their hands.:)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I saw a similar deal at Wal-Mart the other day: Red Dragon for $18.88, and located right next to the DVD was a two-pack of Red Dragon and The Bone Collector for the same price of $18.88. :rolleyes

8^B

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Davids case is similar to what is happening at our future Shops, you can buy 8 Mile for $26.99, or 8-Mile packed with Empire for $24.99. (this applies to many of the summer Universal 2-packs that are out, Conan special edition sells for $34, but can be had packed with Conan the Destroyer for $24.99).

I guess it depends on how you look at it, it's actually a great deal.

Criterions @ HMV are insanely priced. Do the right thing is $75, Rushmore is about the same.
(all prices canadian)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Do the right thing is $75, Rushmore is about the same.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Even for Canada that sounds outrageous. Wow.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I keep walking by the nonanamorphic Field of Dreams for $27.99 at Best Buy every week.

Oh yeah forgot to say that it is under $10 everywhere else.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Practically all Criterions are near full-price at Best Buy now. My worst deal is in the laser disc world. For a list of $150, the box set of Schindler's List came with no disc extras (same discs that were available separately), a paperback copy of the book, the soundtrack cd and a rather nice insert, all for $100 more than the separately available LD. I am ashamed to say that I sprung for it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I paid about $20 a few months ago (with my employee discount) for Anchor Bay's The Swinging Cheerleaders, and now it looks like I'll have to buy it again in a box set for a total of $20 just to get 2 more movies that aren't available separately (The Cheerleaders and Revenge of the Cheerleaders, actually unrelated films other than being from Anchor Bay.)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The Blues Brothers for $35 at Best Buy after retail had been dropped to $15 (available most places for $10). The Nightmare on Elm St. Collection at Suncoast for $135 a few weeks after I got mine for $50 shipped from Amazon.ca.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
12 MONKEYS for $28.99 sitting right next to 12 MONKEYS/THE THING TWO PACK for $22.99.
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN for $25.99 (Ive seen this for 14.99)
THE LIFE OF BRIAN CRITERION COLLECTION $42.99. For gods sake isnt that pushing it a little too far?

Oh, yeah.....all of these fantastic deals can be found at your local BORDERS store.:thumbsdown:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Not counting things on eBay...the worst deal I've ever bitten on is The Ultimate Toy Box in Future Shop, I paid Cdn$58 for it, when it had been selling for as low as Cdn$25 at Best Buy when discontinued.

Any DVD at HMV is pretty much a bad deal...Sopranos sets sell for ~Cdn$150 last time I dared go in there, were as low as ~Cdn$75 at the same time at Best Buy.

JIC I sound like a BB shill, they generally do not have especially good prices here, and generally their set prices are rather high, but sometimes...

OK, one last BB "deal", not what you asked for: The Hitchcock Criterion collection of 5 movies: works out to less than Cdn$30 per movie...decent for Criterions in Canada.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Okay here is one

Metro at best buy 27.95
Metro/Low down dirty shame at BB for 15.99

RobertDragon

Auditioning
i would have to say the worst i ever saw was Donnie Darko, it was $8.99 at best buy and a few other stores. The suncoast in my mall had it for $34.99

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks