What's new

Worst commercial in recent memory. (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
There is a new commercial for Delsym (sp?) cough syrup that is agonizing to watch. It's the one with the guy on the elevator at work who sneezes into his hand. The hand he sneezed into has a horribly drawn mouth and eyes on it and speaks to him about the product. Cheap, tacky, and amateurish are the only adjectives I can come up with.

I don't know what advertising company came up with that idea, who approved it, or why anyone associated with this ad is still gainfully employed, but make the commercial go away.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Apply Directly to the Forehead...whack...Apply Directly to the Forehead...whack...

Need I say more?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I normally mute commercials but when I'm online, I have the TV running in the background and lately there's been two that have grated on me because of their music and the insane frequency of airing. There's a car commercial with John Cougar Mellencamp warbling about "This is my country..." that I hear during every commercial break in a hockey game. And there's another car commercial with some woman covering 'I'll Stop The World And Melt With You' which I've heard four times in the last 24 hours. Like I said, I hate the songs but the worst is how often they play.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

If the company really had cojones they'd use their now infamous catchphrase with the appropriate body part filled in, to sell their line of hemorrhoid cream, Freedhem. :D

EDIT: fix misspelling

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
One company already did basically have the balls to do that, but it got pulled. You can see it on YouTube:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Oops. Though I'm glad you put a smiley on that one because that sure reads as condescending as hell. :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i had to put a smiley face on that, my last post contained about half of my total spanish knowledge, i dont know enough to be condescending :)

CJ

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In what way is the commercial a bad one? You've remembered the name of the product, what it's for and how it works. I'd say the commercial has done its intended job.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
The one that always bugged me was for some pest control company. It was pure scare tactics, first it shows a cockroach on the mouthpiece of a baby's bottle, then the woman has some Raid-like spray she is about to spray on the bottle. I mean cmon. That is just lame.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Unless he hates the commercial SO much that he intends to avoid that product at all costs. Knowing the name and it's use is very handy in making sure one never accidentally buys the product. :D

And the whole idea of "people are talking about it even if it's negative" (as a way of effective advertising) doesn't work for me either because people here talk about how bad BOSE is. If not for this site, I would only have a moderate to slight hatred of their products. Thanks to this site, I have steered clear from them with a passion.

Now that's definitely a case of "people are talking about their product" doing more harm than good.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've seen the "Apply directly to forehead" commercial several times, and I still have no idea what the heck it is for...

I did see a hilarious article in some recent PC gaming magazine about advertising creeping into computer games. It had a full page sized mech from one of the mechwarrior games and an arrow pointing to it with the text "Apply directly to gunbarrel" all over the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks