Worst censored Films?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raymond Johnson, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I thought this would be interesting. Can you list(great or not so great) movies that have been either ruined 100+% by censorship or at least had scenes destroyed by it?
    My picks
    #1 Dead/Alive....classic in uncut form,but see R rated version for reason,yikes!
    True Romance....another classic,yet even worse than the R version is the TV version. Prime example of some films just are not meant for network tv & why censorship just sucks.
    So lets see how many different films can be listed!!

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Unless the filmmaker(s) supervise the editing (Like Speilberg's new cut of E.T. and the TV version of The Godfather supervised by Francis Coppola), it's 100% destroyed.

Film shouldn't make you think about censorship.

If the intended version of a film isn't availible on video, it might as well be off the market completely. (With exceptions such as Greed or pre-release edits like The Magnificent Ambersons, etc, etc, etc)

Ok...for EXTENDED versions such as Greed's 4-hour cut, it's fine. Obviously, the 9 hour cut made by Erich Von Stroheim isn't around anymore, so the 4 hour cut he made afterwards is the next best thing.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I once saw the edited version of The Killer. Ugh, what a mess. The action scenes were totally incoherent. [​IMG]

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

To reiterate the above, Dead Alive is totally aborted in its R-rated version. The following have also been reamed and mutilated by the MPAA:
    Just about all the Friday The 13th films.
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Burning
    The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
    Eyes Wide Shut(shameful!)
    Crash
    Most of Dario Argento's films
    Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
    ...to name a few

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Let me be the first to mention Last Tango In Paris.

6. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

If anyone has ever had the misfortune to see the UK version of Eraser, I think you'll agree the censorship was appalling - over 3 and a half minutes of cuts, including almost the entire ending!

7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Willow! Ugh!

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

When Pulp Fiction was screened on TV over here it was appalling the amount they cut from it. Censorship on that film takes away a lot of the experience.

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Fast times at Ridgemont High is like a new movie watching it edited for tv. I bet about a third of the movie is new, lame scenes in place of the scenes that made it a classic (in some eyes).

10. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

This question is very relevant to me right now as I just saw a few minutes of Scarface on television. Aye Carumba! I think the actual voices of the actors were used about 50% of the time! A real butcher job here! This movie just wasn't meant to be seen on regular television where it must be censored! [​IMG]

13. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Scarface is really bad on network tv. In fact i ended up hating the film after sitting through such a butchured version since it was boring & a huge mess.
    I'll have to give the film another chance as even seeing it unedited on dvd + in WS for the first time....i can't help but finding it dull after awhile from my tv experiance...though it still has some great scenes & lines. So i'll eventually buy the dvd & keep an open mind.
    Basic Instinct is pretty bad in censored form & the tv version even worse.
    Hellbound:Hellraiser 2- R rated version is ultra-rare.....gruesome imagery is still intact,but all of the actual violence is severly cut.
    Natural Born Killers...150 cuts in order to get a R rating...is'nt that going alittle "to" far? Though i don't agree with censorship one way or the other. Leave films intact!
    Brain Damage....forget Requiem for a Dream(great film though)...this is another great anti-drug film. Only the MPAA didn't notice/care and hacked it up in order to get a R rating.
    The Toxic Avenger + any R rated version of a Troma horror/action/sex/comedy.There latest Terror Firmer is hilariously bad in R form + since the film was being butchured down to nothingness.....they actually spoof censorship(you'll see for yourself if you rent that version + IMDB gives you a hint at what that versions like) in away to show how bad/dumb it is. Though the Unrated version is the real version of the film!
    Hotel Exotica...avoid R version at all costs. A very erotic & well made film is hacked up into pointlessness,that it's now neither erotic or romantic...just incoherent & frustrating since everything is completly cut out.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Scarface has to be the best example of just how stupid censorship can get. When the detective asks Tony

"Where'd you get that beauty scar tough guy, eating pineapple?"

Was almost as bad as Tony's statement that

"This town is like one great big chicken waiting to be plucked".........

15. Jason Boucher

Jason Boucher Stunt Coordinator

I don't know why they keep showing Scarface on TV. It's terrible, not just the edit for content, but the print is beyond lousy and the P&S is the worst offender I have ever seen.

16. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

Erich von Stroheim's last and only sound film Walking Down Broadway (1932) probably suffered a worst fate then Greed.

After filming wrapped on time and under budget the studio shelved it for a year because of bad test screenings. They then had at least two other directors shoot new scenes, and released it with an hour running time under the title Hello, Sister (1933). Very little of what Stroheim shot is believed to survive in the new edit. From what I read Stroheim and cinematographer James Wong Howe were doing some innovative things with camera movement and lighting in the lost cut of the film.

17. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I was channel flipping and watched part of Blazing Saddles on some channel. When got to the campfire scene, they guys raised up but no noise. What a joke !

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Saw what women really want on a plane (I WAS REALLY BORED) and there is a part where Mel gibson walks into the office and BSs with all the woman and he says the old joke

Whats the difference between having a job for 10 years and a wife for 10 years?

They changed the Punchline to...They are Both really Great??!?

And she cracks up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not just cut the whole scene when you ruin a joke!

(In case you don't know it;The job still sucks after 10 years....)

19. Grant B

Grant B Producer

oops My vote for greatest hack job is the 90 minute 'once upon a time in america' they released initially in the us, cause americans don't like long movies....horrible mess!!!!!!!!!!!

the next year the unedited version came out in a limit number of markets and made most critics top 10.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The shortest version of Once Upon a Time in America ever released was 139 minutes. Of course, this was 92 minutes shorter than the original Italian cut and 87 minutes shorter than the extended version released on video and laserdisc.

Regards,