What's new

worst bonus feature ever?? (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, there are some goodies in there, but I reckon I still win - I mean who in their right mind would put the same interview from Season 1 on the season 2 release.... unless it's a mistake and nobody has told them? ;)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The Reservoir Dogs "Style Guide" which was nothing more than a 20 second montage clip from the movie.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Also horrible: On the Reservoir Dogs DVD, the interview with Chris Penn that's supposed to look like it takes place in the back of a driving truck.

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
The worst feature I saw was the "Behind the Scenes" on the Pretty woman 10 anniversery disk. All it was was Richard Gere and Julia Roberst riding horses for a bout a minute on someone's home video camera.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
-Artwork on disc
-Recommendations
-Pan and scan version
-The "Don't click here" blank screen on the Being John Malkovich DVD (I think there's one - it's been a while)
-The Jason Mewes Easter egg on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
-Still galleries with less than 10 stills
-Commentaries with huge gaps
-Commercials for products and tie-ins
-The Thermian track on Galaxy Quest (It's a good idea, though)
-The self-congradulatory interviews on the Star Trek: TMP disc (I love that Paramount is releasing SEs of the Trek films but I've read on several websites from multiple sources that the docs were cut to avoid any bashing of the studio, Roddenberry, or Michael Eisner)

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I hate the "Making Of" featurettes on disks that have big chunks of the movie cut into the interviews.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I would say the worst bonus feature would be on Canadian bilingual DVDs where they have reversable covers.....English/French on side one, French/English on side two.
Very silly indeed. Not an extra feature per see, but definitely one of the lamest decisions in DVD history.

AaronJB

Second Unit
McTiernan's commentary on "Thomas Crown Affair" sticks out in my mind as being particularly bad.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The 'First Year At Hogwarts' supplement of HPATCOS. Anybody who owns this guaranteed already owns 'The Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone' in one form or another and doesn't need the rehash.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Frame-by-Frame Analysis" on The Transformers season 1 boxed set is the most pointless feature I have seen. It is just a scene from the show played in slow motion. There are also a bunch of other features on this disc that are mislabeled. (I made a webpage about this set with more info.)

Another that is equally is bad is on the Street Fighter II V boxed set by Manga Video. On every single episode they replaced the original opening and ending credits from the Japanese version (music, animation, text, etc.) with there own credits with a really lame techno song.

Well as an extra feature, they include a remix of the really lame techno song. (And they don't include the original Japanese opening or ending credits either!) Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that this feature is on three of the four discs in the set.

So I think those are some pretty good contenders for "worst bonus feature ever".

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
The Thermian soundtrack on Galaxy Quest. Has anyone played the entire film using this alternate soundtrack?
Neil... I tried. I think I lasted about ten minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore. Although it was somewhat amusing to have it running with sub-titles on.. ;)

How about "collectible booklets" and "chapter stops". :P

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, if we are going to debate this maybe we should just automatically eliminate the most serious offenders from play -

chapter stops
subtitles
other languages
menus (animated or otherwise)
widescreen
silk screened discs

or anything else that we would consider just part of the norm.

The Twilight Zone DVDs have that same repetition of material problem (the Serling notes), but I could understand it a little since someone might just buy one or two with their favorite shows.

The silly ones for fun are fine even if there is nothing to them like the already mentioned Galaxy Quest Thermian soundtrack. Not a big space waster and a very funny gag.

Along the same track, I hate Special Feature menus with ONE FREAKING THING IN THEM.
Hint: instead of listing Features on the main menu, just put that Trailer choice out there instead, save us the step into a meaningless "menu"
(okay, it is a menu because "back" is the 2nd option :rolleyes:)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am no special features freak, almost never watch them.

However, I absolutely despise Easter eggs. What's the point?! Do people actually have fun looking for them? J6P proably doesn't know about them, and 95% of us would just go online to find them anyway.

--
Holadem

BarryS

Second Unit
As a fan of J. Roy director Tony Buba, I respectfully disagree.
Okay, perhaps it's a worthwhile film in its own right. I haven't watched all of it. However, I don't see that the best place for this film is as a supplement with Glengarry Glen Ross. The disc space could have been used for better interviews, documentaries, deleted scenes, etc.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
McTiernan's commentary on "Thomas Crown Affair" sticks out in my mind as being particularly bad.
It cannot hold a candle to John Carpenter and Gary Kibbe on In The Mouth of Madness.

An approximation, from memory:

CARPENTER: So, uh...in this scene, Sam Neill walks into the room...and, uh, now he's talking to Charlton Heston. And they're going to talk for a bit. (lenghty pause) So, Gary, how did we light this scene?

KIBBE (in a slow, halting, thickly-accented voice): Natural sunlight.

(lenghty pause)

CARPENTER: So, uh, now they're done talking, and Sam gets up and leaves the room.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hehe, Mark...

Just got Pearl Harbor DC, and I have to mention the "documentary" Journey to the Screen. While it's not the worst feature ever, it's pretty bad on its own!
Had this piece been 5-minutes long like all other fluffy promo featurettes it would've been ok, but it is 47-minutes long and absolutely horrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks