What's new

Worst Anamorphic Transfer Ever - Dirty Harry(97 pressing) ? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it's pretty bad, but it's a dub off a 1" master and they were fairly upfront about how crummy the elements were.
Who makes 1 inch masters? And doesn't 1 inch equal about 25 mm. I would think that would think that would lead to a roughly 29% quality drop/axiis or about 49% overall (as opposed to 35 mm). Which would be bad, but still a lot better than 16 mm. I wouldn't expect results this bad.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think Deliverance is a horrendous mess, any scene with trees is fairly lousy with shimmer, and that is pretty much the entire film. It has so much EE and basic compression problems that I hate to think that this is actually the "best" it has ever looked on home video.....SE please!

I also spun Forbidden Planet recently and I thought it looked pretty good for an older DVD....well ok, not really good at all as far as the condition of the print was concerned.....I definitely agree that it is in dire need of an SE.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

It's a long story but the elements for "Manhunter" were a complete mess-- no one preserved them at all and the only copy of the director's cut which existed was Mann's old 1" video master which was kept in storage... and had mold on it!

I think the new elements were found in the last year from StudioCanal in Europe that will be on the new DVD.

I agree that "Suicide Kings" is pretty bad-- all of the interior scenes are really dingy and muddy-looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks