Worship me now, I have banished telemarketers!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Knox, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

That's right underlings,

I have been testing this for a few days now and it seems to do the trick. First let me explain how it works...

The TeleZapper, and products similar to it, claim to send a signal to the telemarketer's computer, zapping your name off their computer. Not entirely true. They DO send a signal and your name is taken off the list but it isn't because of any zap. it's because of three tones.

Most telemarketer computers are setup to listen for the three tones (ascending harmonics) that you hear when someone's phone has been disconnected. When the computer hears this it hangs up and removes you from their list so that they don't keep calling a disconnected number and getting charged toll fees for it. The Telezapper and other products simply play this tone when they detect telemarketing computers on the other end.

Most newer telemarketing technology now cloaks their computer presence so the Telezappers are becoming obsolete, BUT the computer still listens for that tone!

I called a number that I knew to be disconnected and recorded the three tones. Then I placed them at the beginning of my answering machine message, then left a message afterwards...

It seems to be working!!!

After playing around with it I found that you only really seem to need the first of the three tones, the other two don't seem to be needed. I suppose that after the computer hears that first tone it knows the deal and removes your number.

So far so good! I hardly have any unknown numbers on the ID and No marketing messages on my answering machine!!!

I'll keep you updated if this changes...

Chris

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Umm, I think those tones are probably available as a MP3 or WAV file readily on the net.. Didn't have to record them on your answering machine...
    http://privatecitizen.com/sit-tone.wav
    But we'll worship you anyway..
    All hail Chris Knox... ummmmmm.... [​IMG]
    Jay

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

After systematically telling every telemarketer who calls to piss off, I seem to have accomplished the same thing.[​IMG]
    Todd

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

That's a neat trick. Here in CT, we have a "No Call" list that you can put your number on, and if a telemarketer calls you, you can report them to the Department of Consumer Protection (presumably resulting in a fine). We bought a house a little over a year ago, and at first we were getting plagued by telemarketers, especially ADP home security. After getting on the list, we got a few more calls, to which I simply stated "You aren't supposed to be calling this number", which always resulted in a prompt hang-up. Now it's been months without a single telemarketer call.

Not sure if the No Call list is available in other states, but it's worth looking into. It's been fantastic.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

To quote our good friend EVE:
    [​IMG]
    I have been doing this on my Voice Mail for almost 2 years now. Works pretty well.
    -Vince

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"But we'll worship you anyway."
    Jay gets to build the statue[​IMG]
    bRENT

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Seinfeld (answering phone): Hello.
    Telemarketer: Hi. Would you be interested in switching over to TMI long-distance service?
    Seinfeld: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later?
    Telemarketer: I'm sorry. We're not allowed to do that.
    Seinfeld: I guess you don't want people calling you at home.
    Telemarketer: No.
    Seinfeld: Well, now you know how I feel.
    [​IMG] That's from The Pitch.

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Yeah, but do you have your phones set up to play the tones only for selected numbers in a database as well as Out-Of-Area and Privacy calls?
    And do you have your phones set up so you don't even hear a single ring when an Out-Of-Area, Privacy, or someone from your nuisance-caller database calls?
    And do you have your phones set up to announce calls from a high-priority list of callers and quietly take messages from a low-priority list of callers?
    No?
    I didn't think so.
    you may worship ME, if you wish. [​IMG]

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Vince a lil harsh doncha think? I see that image (and many like it) on the videogaming and car forums, usually in a thread that results in flaming.

I just saw an ad for the telezapper, glad to know there's a cheaper solution. Thanks Chris!

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Scott,
    It was a good natured joke, specifically referring to its use in a thread here last week:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102031
    I would imagine anyone who starts a post requesting to be worshipped and open it by saying "That's right underlings" is expecting some ribbing.
    -V

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I usually take the telemarketer calls and try to waste their time. I'll play songs for them, call them names, try to engage in actual conversation, anything I can to waste their time as much as possible. Though sometimes I just hang up on them.

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Ryan, does your Gigaset have a Fax/Aux port?

15. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

>> Ryan, does your Gigaset have a Fax/Aux port?
    [​IMG] No.

17. Rain

Rain Producer

This is great.

But does it work in Canada? I don't think we hear a tone when a number is disconnected, just a verbal message.

18. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Ryan: Bummer. Does your Gigaset (which has got to be a newer model than my four-year-old Gigaset) have any feature or setting that takes advantage of or references Distinctive Ring? You may have to dig deeply into your manual to find it if it does.