What's new

Worse Audio and Equivocal Video Quality for Leon The Professional" Review on DVD Talk (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
Has anyone else seen the review of the upcoming SUPERBIT version of "Leon The Professional" by a reviewer on DVD Talk. He basically said the audio on the SUPERBIT version was inferior to the current International Edition because they used an uncorrected (wrong) original audio track--meaning the Superbit version coming out is not as good and "lacks oopmh". Additional he said the video was not significantly better.

Anyone else hear differently? I love this movie, but have cancelled the Superbit pre-order pending any differing reviews...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I didn't get that impression about the uncorrected track from DVD Talk's review, but perhaps the author edited his review since it was originally posted.

From DVD Movie Guide:

But when I compared this new Superbit disc to the original release, I discovered that the lowest octave of deep bass on this new disc had been rolled back. During the opening action sequence, from the time Tonto finds himself looking down the barrel of a semiautomatic handgun, a huge bass drum in Eric Serra's score is tapped repeatedly. In the original release, I could feel the drum in the pit of my stomach; in this new Superbit release, it is audible but unfelt from either of the two 5.1 tracks. Consequently, the sounds of gunfire are less visceral on this new disc and some of the drama suffers as a consequence. This is not an amplitude issue; while watching the Superbit release, I kicked up the gain as much as 9 dB with no significant tactile improvement in the bass.
As for the video, DVD File describes it as "lessy messy", but neither DVD File nor DVD Movie Guide note any monstrous differences between the two.

ChrisA

Second Unit
Thank-you kindly...

Next time I upgrade this movie it will either be the Blu-Ray or AOD version: whoever gives us a 5 Mbit/sec soundtrack and 1080p WM9 :)

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, yep, this is my reasoning for avoiding the latest T2 disc...why triple dip on that disc, when I can make my triple dip with the HD DVD version.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
:angry: :thumbsdown: This is just great. I just sold my copy of Leon in anticipation of the Superbit version, just to learn that it's inferior to the original?

I disagree on passing on the T2 Extreme Edition though. In terms of video quality, it is far and above the Ultimate Edition. There is also an HD version on the disc (if you have a DVD-ROM). The new commentary track is a blast as well.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
:thumbsdown:

it is inferior!

the sound is VERY disappointing, thinking that it is the original glitch track, which has been corrected - ie. no surrounds.

but it is there, just overall sound is lower, or simply no oomph - no bass.

video also looks terrible, as in no improvement or just not impressive.

HOOK sounds better but still looks slightly hazy.

LOArabia is best of bunch!

ChrisA

Second Unit
Unbelievable! How on earth could LEON make it to release! I wonder how many people bought the 'Superbit' version...

Hopefully somebody will point the bad soundtrack out to them so they don't do it again when the 1080p AOD/Blu-Ray version comes out.

I'm glad I read the reviews and cancelled my order before it shipped!

Real Name
Patrick Lyons
You may have forgotten that the original release of Leon was recalled/corrected because the surround audio mix was flat. Sounds like they used the flat soundtrack for the Superbit instead of the corrected one. I remember originally checking my exchanged copy of Leon to make sure I had the updated/corrected version. I also recall the disc inside being different between the original release and the corrected one.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
How do you tell if you have the weak bass version of Leon?
I have the International version with:
ISBN: 0-7678-6831-X
Barcode at bottom: 43396 09196
Number on the Spine: 06196

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
As I've just mentioned on the LOA threads, apart from picture and audio matters, cover blurbs have become rather intriguing; a quick game of Pictionary at my local Best Buy today yielded an anomaly along those lines, here reproduced with the help of back cover scans at DVDEmpire:

Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit (Back Cover Scan)

Leon: The Professional (Back Cover Scan)

Aside from the Robert A. Harns credit on LOA already noted elsewhere, does anything, um, strike ya' funny about those two scans? :) Might we need to buy The Wall Street Journal a few thesauruses to pass around to review staff? Or is Columbia fudging actual reviews? Hmmm ....

ChrisA

Second Unit
The corrected version mentions that the 5.1 audio track is "newly created" on the back of the case. Those are the key words to look for.
Uh oh! hmmmm. Maybe I have the uncorrected version? My back cover says:

Special features

Digitally remastered audio and anamorphic video
Widescreen presentation
production notes
Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital) & 2-Channel (Dolby Surround)
International ad campaign
Isolated music score
..... etc.

I dont see the exact words "newly created"... however, does "digitally remastered audio and anamorphic video" count as shown above?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Up here in Canada Leon non Superbit goes for around $35.00 to 40.00. The SB is only $24.00.(All prices Canadian) OK so I bought the SB version then stumbled onto this forum. Is the sound difference worth the extra 12 to 16 bucks to get a non SB version. BTW how much improvement does the SB have ion pic quality over the standard release.:frowning:

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
this sucks. So I guess waiting for the Superbit didnt pay off. I must admit, the video on the superbit is not overwhelming. I see no compression artifacts, but the picture still seems a little muted.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW how much improvement does the SB have ion pic quality over the standard release.
None that I could see. Just because CTS slaps the phrase "Superbit" on a disc doesn't mean it'll be better. It's the same old transfer, and it's not like the old disc used tons of space now freed for higher quality. Like I said in my review:

"That meant the original essentially matched the parameters for a Superbit release. The whole point of Superbit titles is to maximize bit space for picture and audio, and the first disc pretty much already did that. Sure, it added a 2.0 soundtrack and some very minor extras, but I can’t imagine the Superbit version found many more bits to use."

ChrisA

Second Unit
Whoever was responsible for creating this 'superflop' should be notified...

Guess I'll be selling the version I have on EBAY (trying not to laugh)... Guess I'll be going to deep discount to get the latest NON SUPERFLOP version...

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks