What's new

WORM that most security software can't detect! (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hi everybody,

I was recently informed by my ISP that some spam had been traced to my IP address, due to an "open proxy" as the result of some kind of virus or worm. I thought that was impossible, because AVG Antivirus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot Search & Destroy all came up clean. I further tried Stinger, as well as Microsoft's spyware removal tool. None of these found anything. My ISP suggested I try ClamWin Antivirus

I discovered I had "Worm.Mytob.Gen-6" on my system. AVG did not detect this. A google search indicated that neither Norton nor Symantec has this virus in their databases either. I recommend anyone who is suspicious they may have a virus give ClamWin a try. It is freeware. I have no connection to the company and no reason to vouch for them except that they did the job where other programs have failed.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

This really means nothing. Most viruses and worms do not have an "official" name. The virus companies themselves assign a name based on the characteristics of the samples they receive "from the wild". So McAfee, Symantec and Trend Micro might have three different names for the same virus. Symantec and McAfee might very well have the worm that hit your PC in their databases and be perfectly capable of cleaning it.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks