What's new

World's smallest powered subwoofer! (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
It's alright Dan, it does give me feedback to my post and hopefully will make me a better poster for future considerations. What I mean by the "... serious HT" is that most of us get very giddy about a new product in our system and may put a higher value of it's contribution than what that product deserves (you should of seen me gush about the Aiwa 8" powered sub I added to my first theater about 10 years ago, wow what I didn't know then). Most small subs suffers from Hoffman's Iron Law, the driver lacks both surface area/stroke, amp simply lacks power for what it's claimed spl/low hz output, and simply the cabinet lacks volume. The thing is that most small subs accentuate the midbass and what low bass it can put out is so low, spl wise, that the only types of environment one could get good results in small rooms (the sub fills out a lesser volume so should be adequate in this sense), computers (near field with chairs not padded like a couch that absorbs quite a bit of the tactile bass), or car (again a lesser volume and cabin gain). Hometheater implies a somewhat larger room environment (medium plus size, a typical living room or master bedroom size) imho instead of the small bedroom or computer theater setup therefore I would almost never recommend a sub of that size for most people (but the kick ass thing is he can always move this sub to the bedroom or for the computer ). I can't really say that I said to spend more money as most of my suggestions are within $100-200 of the retail price of the sub he ended up buying though I was suggesting maybe things that most people might not heard of to get bass in the theater (IB sub phenomenon was something I only heard of four years ago, and tactile transducers about seven years ago, but most people I've talked with about HT have never even heard of this type of bass production outside of these forums and I bet even on this forum about 25% haven't either).

I also look at it this way from a saying I heard from a friend of my father who loves to quote philosophy "Fools learn from his own mistakes, and the wiseman learns from the fool" and I would like him to learn from this fool (me) of some of the mistakes I made, money I wasted, and time with inferior gear I listened too and hopefully I can save him all three of these mistakes and one less upgrade to reach the HT Nirvana that all of us at these sites are trying to reach for. There is a certain point we try not to argue with the SOF but then there is that balance of getting gear that hopefully will satisfy us in the long run vs now and upgrade in less than 6 months. I was just trying my best to help out another hobbyist with short, quick, and most likely not detailed enough answers. Sorry if I offend anyone but I thought I'd go ahead give a greater explanation so as to say "I'm not putting you down but here's my opinion and somewhat why".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks