What's new

World's Largest Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
If any of you have read Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, you may remember the rock group where the optimum listening position was several planets away (or was it several thousand miles?). I'm not sure what me think of that??

The band was Disaster Area. Here's an excerpt....funny stuff!

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy notes that Disaster Area, a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet. Their songs are on the whole very simple and mostly follow the familiar theme of boy-being meets girl-being beneath a silvery moon, which then explodes for no adequately explored reason."

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ryan, now I don't have to look it up when I get home. That book is hilarious. That part of the book is the first thing I thought of when I saw those pictures. Where would you have to be to really listen to this monster?

Lito

Agent
i was researching low frequency excitation sources a couple of years ago
and came across these: http://www.ling1.com/ept1094.htm

each driver was rated for 10,000 acoustic watts!!!

one of their applications was for simulating aero-acoustical loading for
missile takeoffs (like a big titan or minuteman) in a really large test chamber.

typicaly used in a large multi driver array along with the 'tweeter' and
'midrange' units. driven by high pressure gas.
if i recall correctly, they were quoting in well
in excess of 180 dB re 20 microPa at the missile skin.

(check out the acoustic chamber they test in, the people look like ants)
http://www.ling1.com/acoustic.htm

i had always wondered what those big pressure tanks were for, now i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks