What's new

World's First Cyborg (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
According to dictionary.refrence.com
Anybody with a prosthetic "claw" (not including non-moving hooks) for a hand, jointed artificial leg,a nd any of the dozen's of recepients of an "artificial heart" would qualify as a "cyborg" decades before the good doctor. And even if you insit on there being "computer assisted mechanical function" Cyborg Monkey beat him to the punch by about a year and a half. Plus everyone ever connected to a computer controlled ventilator or artificial lung.

So while I can certainly appreciate the scientists work in studying (if in a bizarre way) human neurology for the betterment of science & medicine, I cannot think of any critia by which you could call this man the "firt cyborg", as clearly we have been a race of computer & machine assisited creatures for many years. Except for the cyborg monkey. Hes the first cyborg moneky I know of :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
He can be rebuilt. He has the technology. He can be better... smarter... faster. (Cue slow-speed footage and na-na-na-na-na-na sound FX...)

He is the Borg. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

:D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Warwick's really entertaining. They've been calling him Captain Cyborg over at the Register for at least a couple of years now.

Some of his research is interesting, but his crazy interviews where he talks about cyborg armies and assorted sci-fi apocalypse nonsense are... well... crazy.

That said, I want to see what happens with this thing. The last time I heard a lot of noise with him about an implant he got, all the thing did was transmit a radio signal that told other machines where he was -- of course, it was written up breathlessly as "Professor Warwick can now open doors and turn on his computer without touching them!" More like he had a garage door opener in his pocket with the button glued down, and when he came near enough to his garage, it opened. Yeah, I understand that the experiment was more to see if the signals would transmit from under his skin and to make sure that he wouldn't react adversely to it as a lead-in to this experiment, but at the time it was hailed as some kind of science breakthrough all on its own.

So I guess that what I'm saying is that the press coverage of his experiments bugs me, but I'm following the story anyways because I'm curious.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
A Bluetooth implant could be interesting. Communicate directly with your PDA, computer & cell phone!

But then how long would it be until we got hacked or it became a new way to get a cyborg virus?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm envisioning a Robocop-like scene where "Directives" could get re-written via SPAM, thus the Taco Bell scenario...

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

I keep envisioning the end to the first Diablo game (I need that like I need a crystal in my head :) )

When you start to crave the new SPAM Taco you'd really be in trouble :D

Kenneth

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
You could take road rage to a whole new level if you could transmit a wireless insult to the jerk that just cut you off.

Even better if you could wirelessly hack into his right arm & steer him into the ditch. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks