What's new

World's Fastest Indian (1 Viewer)

Bill Marsh

Agent
The Canadian release of this movie is non-anamorphic and a crappy transfer. Projected on my 92" screen it looks like VHS quality. I'm going to try to return it. I will probably send for a copy from the US if someone will assure me it is indeed anamorphic. This is a much anticipated dvd for me and a major dissapointment. Please let me know. The cover --of course---promised "enhanced for widescreen" and 2:35 AR. It is 2:35 not the 1:78 AR that the American copy is but I've seen the screenshots and will accept the changed AR . The Canadian version also doesn't have the real-life Burt Munro documentary.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just got this in for review, I note some controversy on the transfer and 'panning and scanning' from 2.35 down to 1.85 on the AVS forum threads regarding this film. Will check it out probably tomorrow night.

Sam

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm eager to read your review Sam. After seeing Bill Hunt's post on thedigitalbits.com about the cropping of the aspect ratio I decided to hold off on purchasing. May be worth a rental...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
That Canadian version sounds terrible. :eek:

My father wanted to see this so we went and saw it in the theater. I saw the review at DVD Talk that mentioned the changed AR. I didn't even recall what the AR was, but I do recall the film looked very nice. Most of the comparison shots at DVD Talk showed that it was opened up but one set definitely showed L&R cropping.

One thing I was wondering about was the doc. As far as I can tell it's single layer. I tried to look the doc. up at imdb to see how long it is and they don't even list it? :confused:

I went ahead and bought it yesterday for my Dad for Father's Day, he doesn't really know about AR and I don't think he'll say anything. :D

Look forward to your review.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
FWIW, here's the review from DVDTalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=22026&___rd=1

As the reviewer notes, this is the same director as the film The Recruit, which also featured a 2.35:1 film modified to 1.78:1.

Now with The Recruit, the packaging specifically states the DVD shows "more", as in the opening of mats from Super35. Looking at the screenshots in the review, it seems this is the case here.

Now, whether or not it looks better is certainly subjective. It certainly looks like they protected for 1.78.

I decided to pick it up, since I've been interested in seeing this since I saw the trailer on HDnet's Nothing But Trailers, back when the film was called Burt Munro.

Bill Marsh

Agent
Thanks guys----guess it's the US version for me. Can't stand it when the dvd format is not used to it's fullest capabilities. Picture quality is extremely important to me and I hope to all of you. With the great visuals in this movie-----it deserves the BEST.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

So do they just hate Canadians? ;)

Why would they release it differently in Canada? Strange to me, unless it was a rights thing (re: the original doc being left off the Canadian version) but that shouldnt have anything to do with the picture.

Did it have a director's commetnary, etc. like the Region 1 version?

Bill Marsh

Agent
There is a 5.1 French audio stream that takes up a good deal of space---so no commentary but why in this day and age they didn't use anamorphic when it is a more efficient use of video compression is beyond me. Would hate to see people enjoy this movie IN SPITE OF it's picture quality. Seen this before in Canada and it ticked me off then too---lol

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

I make the same mistake when describing my manhood (don't all men). Inches, feet, it's all the same. Mea culpa :D

52" (TV that is :P)

New spam : I used to have a 52" T*V and now thanks to TVagra it's now 52'!!! Order now, it really works! ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry guys, I watched most of Chappelles Block Party last night (Universal is my main responsibility so their releases come first! Look for my review on that tonight) instead of TWFI. I'm tied up tomorrow night, so it wont be till this weekend that I get to it.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks