What's new

World Without End (1956) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91ip9Raz4xL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffT.

Deceased Member
p5244_p_v8_aa.jpg

"They're from the Past but they just might be the Future's only hope."--The (ironic) promotional literature for the WORLD WITHOUT END (1956) VHS release.

1950s SF films are most definitely my forte! At the least the good ones are.

Albeit not everything from this Golden Age of SF Films is gold.

Next to Don Siegel's INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) this is probably Allied Artists Pictures' second best SF film from the nifty 1950s.

Solid dependable cast of seasoned performers headlined by Hugh Marlowe (THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS) and a young Rod Taylor (THE TIME MACHINE).

Handsomely produced in both CinemaScope and Technicolour.

An intelligent drama with a profound message that still resonates even in the 21st Century.

Not only does it cover the by now well tread path of Space travel but it (for its time) also innovatively (and ambitiously) further incorporates Time travel something that would be further driven home just four years later with George Pal's magnificent THE TIME MACHINE (1960).

Finally much enjoyed (and sought after) 1950s genre films like WORLD WITHOUT END (1956) have broken into the coveted blu-ray medium threshold and let's hope that this is the start of a growing trend.

I felt the DVD release was a major achievement but this goes way beyond that significant landmark to be sure.

Keep up the fine work Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. Let's hope that other major blu-ray distributors will be similarly inspired-influenced to follow suit on this.

Great things are happening!

entete.jpg

Jeff T.

;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have fond but dim memories of this movie. Liked it as a kid, so that's in it's favor. I do remember the incredibly hokey spider. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have fond but dim memories of this movie. Liked it as a kid, so that's in it's favor. I do remember the incredibly hokey spider. :)

Yeah, that cheapened the film a bit (although quite cool for this young kid watching it on Million Dollar Movie, it hasn't aged well). That, or a similar spider, was also used in MISSILE TO THE MOON, CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON, QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE, and probably countless others, quite a feat since there is no oxygen on the moon or on Venus to support arachnids, let alone buxom women (although we didn't know that in 1958). Aside from that, the ten-dollar sets, five dollar costumes and mediocre effects hurt the film due to what was likely an impossibly tiny budget. But the film's concept and some of the performances are good, and the film remains memorable as one of my childhood faves. It's better than a mere "guilty pleasure." Thank you, Warner Archives!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, that cheapened the film a bit (although quite cool for this young kid watching it on Million Dollar Movie, it hasn't aged well). That, or a similar spider, was also used in MISSILE TO THE MOON, CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON, QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE, and probably countless others, quite a feat since there is no oxygen on the moon or on Venus to support arachnids, let alone buxom women (although we didn't know that in 1958). Aside from that, the ten-dollar sets, five dollar costumes and mediocre effects hurt the film due to what was likely an impossibly tiny budget. But the film's concept and some of the performances are good, and the film remains memorable as one of my childhood faves. It's better than a mere "guilty pleasure." Thank you, Warner Archives!
I have read before that spider made multiple appearances. You know budgets are tiny when they reuse poor props.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

I have read before that spider made multiple appearances. You know budgets are tiny when they reuse poor props.

Brad here. I first saw clips from these hokey 50s SciFiComedy at the SciFi Dine-In Theater at Disney Hollywood Studios (Disney World). Always did have a interest in getting these films and when DVD came around (after a few years) we finally can get them.
Also noted the disappointment of (straight) males (and LGBT ladies) after the Apollo moon landings found that there was no underground lunar civilization of Miss America beauty pageant contestants for us to discover.

So pre-ordered using Ron's link.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Also noted the disappointment of (straight) males (and LGBT ladies) after the Apollo moon landings that there was no underground lunar civilization of Miss America beauty pageant contestants for us to discover.

So pre-ordered using Ron's link.
Count me in under the first group as being very disappointed. :D

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Brad here. I first saw clips from these hokey 50s SciFiComedy at the SciFi Dine-In Theater at Disney Hollywood Studios (Disney World).
Also noted the disappointment of (straight) males (and LGBT ladies) after the Apollo moon landings found that there was no underground lunar civilization of Miss America beauty pageant contestants for us to discover.

It is true that those underground civilizations and beauty pageant contestants have not been found,
so it is up to us to continue to explore in order to find them.

HanShotFirst

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
It's worth noting that WORLD WITHOUT END was originally released theatrically in three-channel Perspecta Stereophonic sound.

View attachment 36798

A question regarding the aspect ratio for this blu-ray release, as the attachment above shows 2.55-1...why is the blu-ray release of this at 2.35? I did a search in the Aspect Ratio Documentation forum in regards to this title, but no luck.

HanShotFirst

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Can anyone confirm the aspect ratio of this title? Package states 2.35:1, but it seems from a copy I borrowed from a friend, it is actually 2.55:1, in comparing it with some other 2.35 movies. I'm guessing maybe it is a misprint from WAC? Anyway, if there is anyone who has actually watched their copy of World Without End, can you confirm the aspect ratio as well...thanks.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Can anyone confirm the aspect ratio of this title? Package states 2.35:1, but it seems from a copy I borrowed from a friend, it is actually 2.55:1, in comparing it with some other 2.35 movies. I'm guessing maybe it is a misprint from WAC? Anyway, if there is anyone who has actually watched their copy of World Without End, can you confirm the aspect ratio as well...thanks.
It’s 2.55:1. You can even measure the AR for yourself from the screen captures at Blu-ray.com or DVD Beaver.

HanShotFirst

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thank you so much! I did measure, but just wanted someone else to confirm. My OCD doesn't like that they put the wrong ratio on the package, but I can live with it. Now to purchase this title:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks