What's new

World Series of Poker 2004 (SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
3 players just went out within a couple of hands.

Down to 10, 1 more to go before they call it a night.

Greg Raymer
Josh Arieh
Matt Dean
Mattias Andersson
Al Krux
Michael McClain
David Williams
Dan Harrington
Marcel Luske
Glenn Hughes

Bizarre story from earlier today:

John Murphy was late returning to Binions this morning. As mentioned much earlier, he had been staying at the Belligio on the strip and it seems they were late waking him from his bed.

By the time Matt Savage had called him and he had made his way to downtown Vegas, he had been anted away over 100,000 in chips!!!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
And then there were 9. '95 champ (and last year's third place) Dan Harrington has made the final table!

Rob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Harrington took out Marcel Luske to end the night.

The final 9 players are :

Greg Raymer
Josh Arieh
Matt Dean
Mattias Andersson
Al Krux
Michael McClain
David Williams
Dan Harrington
Glenn Hughes

Play on the final table of the World Series of Poker begins tomorrow at 1pm.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
About 30 minutes until the final table's "shuffle up and deal" commences!

I thinks pokerstars is one of the sites that will show you what's going on today via a webcast.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The action has been fast and furious, and they are now down to only 3 players, and the payout is $2.5 million for 3rd, $3.5 million for 2nd, and $5 million for 1st.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dan went out in 4th, bad loss, though I'm not sure I would have gone all in with an A6, but losing to a 23 that turns into a full house is a beat down.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob

So Dan went all-in with A-6 before the flop against 3-2 and lost to a full house? Sounds like a good bet to me and bad luck.

Rob

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
And it's over, Greg Raymer is your champion!

Given the names at the last table, ESPN's coverage of the tournament this summer is going to create a lot of new poker stars!

Rob

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes Rob, but he didn't know the guy had 32. A6 is a pretty risky all-in hand, even with only 4 players. He was in a good enough chip position that he didn't have to make a play right then.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cry me a river for Dan Harrington, the poor sucker got 1.5 million for his efforts... :)
They surely don't do well on the WPT. The reverse is however true most of the time(although the last 2 years have debunked that).

NolanJ

Second Unit
What do you mean Shane? I'm a little confused.

Who doesn't do well on WPT? Do you mean their coverage is bad on WPT?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
OK maybe this perspective is wrong but the World Series is a one shot deal. Once a year, best man wins. The WPT is more of a tour with more games being played. AFAIK, Moneymaker has never made a final table at the WPT. It's rare that you see the champs playing. However, the reverse is most often true ex cept this year where nobody except(Dan Harrington whom I've seen once) made the final table. What I'm saying is that I don't expect to see Dan Raymer in the top tables on the WPT. If he does, hey great. Meanwhile I'm willing to bet we see the champs from the WPT show up at a final table more often that not. But that is the great thing about the World Series.

Or perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the WPT over the one game a year World Series.

NolanJ

Second Unit
If you mean that the level of play is greater on the WPT, I would agree with you. But because poker is a game dependent on a certain amount of skill, it doesn't matter how good you are, you are bound to get some "bad beats" and get kicked out earlier than you would have liked.

That being said, the number of entries in this years tournament was huge; and with greater numbers come a greater number of amateurs and people who, after watching poker on ESPN and the Travel Channel, think they can hang with the big boys.

I like the format... but I prefer to watch the WPT tournaments, because I like name recognition.

On a side note, did Johnny Chen play in this years tournament? I didn't notice his name.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Chan was in this year's WSOP, but I can't remember how many days he lasted before getting knocked out, I don't think he made it past day 3.

With such a large field that the WSOP attracts, lady luck plays a larger part in knocking out established pro players because even though the odds are against you, sometimes, the river is kind to the amateurs, and it knocks out the more experienced players who were going with the odds in that hand, and it only takes one or a few bad beats and you're out of the tourney.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks