What's new

World of Warcraft (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Anyone pick up this game? I want it really bad and forgot it came out today. Im going out first thing in the morning to get it.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I was in the beta and am picking it up in the morning. I found it to be fantastic fun, cannot wait to have a day off work and away from class, and drop 10+ hours in a row to power level my way out of the noob area's again.

First character will be a human paladin, since I know the quests and should be able to get back where I left off within 2-3 days of power gaming, then slow down to an enjoyable pace. (roughly level 25-28 range is my goal by weeks end)

I'm playing on Illidan PvP server, in Central, with a reasonably sized guild (40'ish dedicated players)

I really recommend going on a PvP server, having to actually battle, defend, and the best part, raiding the lands of other real people is bar none one of the best experiences I've had in months, and adds a whole new dynamic to the game, that hunting and questing cannot, in my opinion.

Laser surgery Thursday, hopefully be recovered by Saturday(give or take), go back to work on Tuesday, gives me my 3 days I need to level :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I was in the beta and picked the game up today. They started having some major problems with lag on the servers tonight and the Pacific and Mountain servers have been completely down for the last few hours. I really like the game but it's not a great start by Blizzard. I hope they get the problems fixed by the morning.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i would have it if i hadn't counted on amazon getting the game to me by thursday with PAID shipping. I swear, they have shipped my free stuff faster than this.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I thought about going with WoW but i went with EverQuest2 instead. I just decided that I wanted to play with the more realistic characters as opposed to the cartoonish ones. I'm not knocking it though b/c I have yet to really play it. I'm just enjoying what I've got.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
So wat is the HTF server eveyone is going to play on? I want to jump into the same server this time since I couldnt do it with Galaxies.:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
ANybody have the Collector's Edition? How is it? I tried finding it yesterday but the store(s) were sold out. :frowning:

It has a hardcover book with a 100 pages of art and so forth, right? I was considering holding off the purchase until I find time during the holidays to play, but this extra sounds really cool...so much better than the crap you get from the Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition - a t-shirt and a crippled hint book? WTF? What a major disappointment H-L2 was in that department.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
My first impression of WoW was that the graphics were cartoonish, but I soon realized that it's all a matter of style. WoW has one style, sort of fairy tale Disney-ish, and EQ2 has another style, trying to look more realistic, but it's still cartoonish in many ways.

My experience with EQ2 has been one frustration after another. The game seems to take pride in not explaining the most important things for the sole purpose of generating difficulty in achieving them. I don't get a sense of accomplishment in having finally figured something out if it becomes so obvious after the fact, instead it pisses me off.

On the other hand, I'm having fun in WoW.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Exactly. It's not as if you look like Charlie Brown or something. The graphics are the exact same style that Warcraft has used from the beginning.

The game's great when it's playable but right now the server problems are real bad. Blizzard is working on the problems and adding more servers but my guess is that it'll be a while before they're all running smoothly.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Was gonna get the CE, but it sold out by the time I scratch together enough money. Now I'm just gonna wait for the regular version to lower in price then join my friends' clan... well, I can go out right now and get it from my local EBGames... temptations. Damn it. Still hope they'll have more copies of CE come out later.

Kami

Screenwriter
I have been looking forward to this game but I don't know if I have the time for it right now. I'm addicted to Halo 2 on Xbox Live like a mofo, I am trying to beat Half Life 2, I am in the middle of Fable AND LOTR: The Third Age, and in the next two weeks LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth and Knights of the Old Republic 2 are coming out.

It has come to the point where every free moment of my time is gaming - how the hell can I fit a MMORPG in there??? Aside from not working and sleeping???

Someone needs to invent the 48 hour day!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts exactly Kami! I just learned yesterday that KOTOR 2 is coming out...how the hell am I going to play WoW, finish H-L2, play Ghost Recon 2, tweak my HTPC, finish Buffy Season 7, watch Harry Potter 3, rewatch the re-mastered Matrix, and learn the Half-Life 2 Source SDK?

Oh and in a few days I'll be in crunch mode for my company's big project.

Ugh. :)

BTW, anybody have the Collector's Edition of WoW? How is it?

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I installed the beta of WoW and I deleted it after playing with it for two days. The gameplay was boring, imo. It felt like a rehash of a rehash. I didn't stumble across a single original thought. I just don't see what I must obviously be missing. Everybody seems to speak so highly of WoW, but compared to CoH it is too slow paced and group play is not nearly as dynamic. What was I doing wrong?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Games like EQ2 and WoW are considerably more "questy" than CoH. Nobody ever complained about it taking too long to go anywhere in CoH. The early zones aren't big (exception: the new Hollows zone is freaking huge), and when you reach level 14 you can pick a speedy travel power. Sometimes I think the CoH designers looked at the things that were most frustrating about the typical MMORPG and got rid of them. The result is an MMORPG that is greatly simplified and therefore many diehard MMORPG grinders will scoff at CoH for being so simple, however it must be said that CoH had the smoothest launch ever.

Speaking of that, the loot lag on WoW seemed to be completely gone all day Thanksgiving day, at least on the server I play on. I can't imagine that it was because fewer people were playing, I think they might have fixed it. Good for them, because I'd hate to imagine the programmers not being able to enjoy the holiday weekend. Note to self: never release a new product just before a holiday.

Original thoughts? I think they might be all used up now. I think the last original thought is CoH's "sidekick" system that lets new players play alongside veterans.

I haven't done much group play in WoW yet but I expect that I will have to do it soon, at level 12 the quests are becoming too dangerous to do alone. It's frustrating to barely survive a battle against one mob only to have two more spawn right on top of you. But WoW, like EQ1&2 and CoH, has the distinct classes that are suited to particular roles in combat. Warriors are for melee, mages are for ranged attacks, priests are for healing, etc.

And the graphics impress me more and more each day. Yesterday I traveled from the human city of Stormwind to the dwarf city of Ironforge for the first time, and I was floored by the graphics inside Ironforge and then again by the snow-covered mountains outside Ironforge. "Cartoony" is the wrong word for this, it's like watercolor paintings of fairy tale landscapes have come to life. Somebody had to create all of this and it has to be commended, not criticized.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
As for the collectors edition, I've been playing the game so I haven't really had time to watch the DVD, listen to the CD, unroll the cloth map, or look at the table book of concept art. The in-game pet is a nice novelty, and I've seen a lot of them, so the collectors edition must be popular. Good for Blizzard.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I love the cartoon look of WoW, I think its a nice break from the same old dark and dreary look of some games out today. I will say that I like Galaxies for the fact that I can pretty much go all around the game solo if I like and this sounds like COH that when you get to a certain point you will have to group up. This is hard for me sometimes when I can only play for and hour or so. Also it doesnt sound like Ill be getting the CE anytime soon. I have never been a big fan of the CE, SE, etc. It seems like for the most part they just pack crap in them and soak you for an extra $10 or $15.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, thanks for your comments. Being an avoid FPS player, CoH must simply be fitting my frantic playing style better. Also, one the things that irked me in WoW was the monster spawning. Door missions and train missions in CoH keep the gameplay going fast without external interferences. I guess to each their own.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

If you pick up on Collectors Edition, the World of Warcraft CE is the one to get. You get a hardcover art book, a DVD with all of the games cinematics and special features along with the games full sountrack. Well worth the extra 10-15 bucks IMO. Now, if only I could find one!

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Im sure someone on eBay will run you dry for one. :D I'll have to look into finding one then.

Oh and by the way how is the game for casual gamers? im currently in school and dont have much time to log in. Christmas vacation is coming up and will have lots o time to sink into this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks