World of Suzy Wong - Highly recommended

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brian W, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

If no one else has picked this up or noticed yet, this is really one of the most spectacular transfers and restorations to come from an early 60's Technicolor film (to my memory) by Paramount. Just beautiful, pick this up,in the league of North By Northwest and Written On The Wind.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

On my list, glad to hear it looks very good.

4. Brian W

Now if they would only revisit their earlier releases of disappointing transfers from the same era of mid 50s to early 60s. Breakfast at Tiffany's and To Catch a Thief are two that come to mind first. How refreshing to see this dvd and know what Paramount is capable of for their films of this period. I say their record has ben spotty to say the least. But this is just a beautiful, film like transfer, and a great movie too...

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I don't agree with your opinion that Paramount's record being "spotty". There might have been some releases that didn't look as good as we as consumers expected, but to classify their record in releasing their catelogue titles as "spotty" is an overstatement in my opinion.

Crawdaddy

6. Brian W

Robert (Crawdaddy)-

You are right, I know I must be overstating. I just think of recent releases/transfers from Paramount DVD such as Houseboat and To Catch A Thief, films made a few years before, but about the same period as Suzie Wong.

Other than black and white transfers like Sunset Boulevard and Roman Holiday, I have not seen Paramount (like with their color Vista Vision transfers) obtain this quality in a transfer from this era. This is Criterion quality and very often Warner quality. And sure, much depends on quality of film elements restored or used. But the video artifacting of To Catch a Thief and the over filtering of Houseboat just keep coming to mind when I pick up Paramount titles of this vintage. I could name others too.

Breakfast At Tiffany's, on the other hand, is a very early Paramount release, when DVDs first were being marketed. So I just hope they will revisit Breakfast with a special edition and give it a new transfer that it deserves.

I know the surviving elements should be good. I had the pleasure of seeing the existing "studio print" at a screening in 1991 or 1992 when Audrey Hepburn gave one of her last public appearances at a gala and accepted the prestigious George Eastman Award at the Eastman House and Dryden Theater here in Rochester NY (also met Kim Novak who received the same award last November, screened RAH's restoration of Vertigo!) . That studio print of Breakfast, at least then, was nothing less than stunning and breathtaking.

Also, I should mention, I picked up months ago How the West Was Won, and just have not got around to seeing it yet. But I understand from others here at the forum that this is another 5 star Paramount DVD release of a film, I believe, from the period I am referring too. I plan to see this soon.

Ten Commandments I was disappointed, again, with the over filtering. Suzie Wong I found extraordinary because of the depth, detail, seemingly accurate color saturation (so lush are those reds) and retaining a very filmlike transfer. A nice and surprising presentation for a film that maybe does not have quite the stature as the other Paramount titles I have mentioned.

Saw Stepford Wives last night and was less than impressed with this transfer, though we are talking a totally different era and cinematography. I am sure what I saw last night pretty much represents how the film originally looked (almost has that made for TV, Movie of the Week quality from the 70's. Still the transfer appears a little thin to me, not much better than the laser disc I had 7 or 8 years ago.

Finally, I am anxious to see what they did with Day of the Locust. This was released the same day as Suzie and Wives. This was filmed around the same period as The Great Gatsby, which I saw recently and consider a fairly good transfer, though not jaw dropping, from Paramount. A little thin and some video artifacting, but in general a very satisfying transfer.

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

wow.
    great news!

i read a an earlier capsule review of the disc on the web (can't remember where) that described the video as being somewhat dingy and worn.
    good to hear this may not be the case.

been a fan of the film ever since i caught it on the late show almost 20 yrs ago.
    love stories about artists/painters, enjoyed the location scenery and artist/model dynamic.
    i know the film gets razzed in most circles, but its one of the summer releases i'm most looking forward too.

hopefully it will show up from DDD in the next day or so.

8. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Sue and I watched our copy last night, and I echo what Brian stated in his original post, this thing gives North By Northwest, a good run for its money - certainly one of the best looking transfers I have seen from a similar period. Great movie too...!

Herb.

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

put it in to check to see if it was a s good as you all were saying and...it certainly appears to be.
    only scanned thru a few scenes, but the picture sure looks sweet.
    very bright, vibrant fully saturated color, excellant contranst with deep inky blacks- all contributing to a very 3 diminsional looking picture on my set-up.

looking forward to actually getting the time to sit down and watch this which unfortunatly won't be for another few weeks yet.

great job - great price!