What's new

World Cup Soccer - 2014! (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Okay, what was that, in the semifinal? Talk about a major embarrassment for the host nation!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,

Well, I loved it because I picked Germany to win it all before the World Cup began this year.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Walter C said:
Okay, what was that, in the semifinal? Talk about a major embarrassment for the host nation!
Brazil couldn't cope with the loss of their best two players, they were absolutely outplayed.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ockeghem said:
Walter,Well, I loved it because I picked Germany to win it all before the World Cup began this year.
I picked Germany to win it too, but really couldn't enjoy that. It was brutal.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
FoxyMulder said:
Brazil couldn't cope with the loss of their best two players, they were absolutely outplayed.
Every player on the field was a millionaire international soccer star. Missing two key players should not result in defensive play that would get you benched at the high school level. I could not believe my eyes at the amount of space and time they allowed the Germans, especially in light of how physical they were defensively against Colombia in their previous game. It looked as though they didn't know they were supposed to even mark the German players, let alone apply pressure to the man with the ball. Assignments? Defensive shape? Anyone?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jacinto said:
Every player on the field was a millionaire international soccer star. Missing two key players should not result in defensive play that would get you benched at the high school level.
Their best defender, Thiago Silva, was suspended, he was the lynchpin for that defence, their main goalscorer was Neymar, no one else was scoring, take those two out of the team and Brazil became ordinary, they were not a great team to begin with.

It doesn't matter that they are millionaire players, very average players get paid big money to play football, big wages does not equal big heart, football is a team sport and many of these teams lacked the team spirit and team work ethos, it's team spirit that had Costa Rica and the USA doing quite well and it's team work and great skill that had Germany winning against Brazil.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not being elite despite missing two key players is one thing. But during that blitzkrieg (pun intended) it looked like, as Maca said, "amateur hour". It looked like when you get a bunch of friends at a park and decide to play soccer, and all the people who've never played end up on one team, and the other team just kicks the ball easily past them.

Missing Silva and Neymar meant they were likely to lose. But 7-1? Those guys looked very unprofessional. Don't forget the USA lost Altidore and played Germany tougher.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
It looks as though we're going to Scott M.'s favorite part of soccer (and hockey for that matter). Ugh.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
It looks as though we're going to Scott M.'s favorite part of soccer (and hockey for that matter). Ugh.
I hope so, these teams are evenly balanced and a good penalty shootout is a fair way to decide things.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I knew that Brazil was going to lose. What I did not expect, was the way they lost and got destroyed. I thought Germany was going to break the record for biggest margin of victory in World Cup history, but they did dial it back in the 2nd half. And even allowing that garbage goal by Brazil. Now, will Brazil even be motivated to play for 3rd place? I know Germany certainly was in 2006, as I thought that loss in the semifinal was biggest heartbreaker for them, due to the fact that they would not win it all on home soil.

With Netherlands-Argentina, I actually wished they skipped the 30-minute extra time, and go straight to a shootout, since it was clear that neither team was going to score for a long time. I did feel bad for the Dutch goalkeeper for not being able to block a single shot.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think Argentina is the best team to play Germany in the final. I don't think the Dutch would have stood a chance. I hope the final is somewhat closer than the Brazil - Germany match.

Walter,

No, Brazil will not be motivated to play for third place.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ockeghem said:
I think Argentina is the best team to play Germany in the final. I don't think the Dutch would have stood a chance. I hope the final is somewhat closer than the Brazil - Germany match.
I definitely agree about the Dutch, as I think they would have been really exhausted after playing 2 straight games that went to shootouts. Plus they have looked more shaky at times, than Argentina has.

I see Germany winning it all, but it will be close and hard-fought. Looks like your prediction will come true after all. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, this 3rd place game was not really worth watching, as it came down to who was motivated less to play. Well, if not playing for 3rd place, I am sure the score would have been more lopsided, as the host nation would continuously be kicked while down.

And the closing ceremony was better than the opening ceremony, but that certainly does not say much. Neither was as good as the Rio handover ceremony in 2012. I will expect a lot more when 2016 rolls around.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Almost half time in this final game.

I predict Germany to win it 2-1 and all goals to be scored during the second half.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FoxyMulder said:
I hope so, these teams are evenly balanced and a good penalty shootout is a fair way to decide things.
Sorry, but I prefer the way today's game was decided, Malcolm. I was glad to see the Cup won by a real goal, not gimmicky penalty kicks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Sorry, but I prefer the way today's game was decided, Malcolm. I was glad to see the Cup won by a real goal, not gimmicky penalty kicks.
Agreed. I really feared that extra time was not going to be enough. I would really have disliked it had the outcome been decided by penalty shots.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
Agreed. I really feared that extra time was not going to be enough. I would really have disliked it had the outcome been decided by penalty shots.
To be fair they can't play on forever and penalty kicks do take some skill, not only to take but to try and save.

I think overall Germany were the best team in this tournament, roll on 2018 and, hopefully Scotland will make it this time.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Foxy,
Of course they cannot play on forever. However, I have heard similar sentiments (about them not being able to continue play for too long before they become too tired) on various sports radio programs. I've run forty-mile training runs, several marathons, played in full-court basketball games that last for three or more hours, etc., and this is in my fifties. I really don't buy that players in their twenties or thirties are that fatigued so as to preclude them from not being able to play for a considerable amount of extra time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks