What's new

World Cup of Hockey (1 Viewer)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Luongo played a good game, Team Kanada didn't. I didn't see the first goal but on the rest of them, Brodeur wouldn't have made any difference. He could have taken some in on the ones that Luongo really shined.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree that the problem was the whole team, not just Luongo. They were being outworked in their own end, were failing to clear when they had opportunity, and just had a hard time getting things to click. The team also had trouble focusing right after a goal, which burned them twice.

I would like to see Brodeur in for the final, simply for his own sake.

Tuesday should be an exciting game.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Brodeur does more than just keep the puck out of the net but has anyone actually looked at his GAA??
He is like having a third defence-man on the ice with the way that he can handle the puck on the dump in. He has not let in a soft goal this entire tournament.

I can't say the same about Luongo in his only game. Luongo let in 3 goals in 1 game, Brodeur has only let in 3 goals the entire tournament! (4 games)

Yes, Canada (that's with a "C" Sami;)) played poorly but it wasn't until OT that Luongo played his A game. IMHO
Luongo was amazing in OT!

Regardless...
Bring back Brodeur!

We disagree. We disagree on the HUGE rebound that Luongo gave Havlet, and we disagree on the weak goal that the Czech's scored 6 seconds after the faceoff. Brodeur MAKES those saves.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Speculation as he didn't. The point is he easily could have let in a goal where Luongo stood on his head (which Brodeur does as well) and nobody would have blamed him. He easily could have let in that goal after Canada's, it wasn't really that soft of a goal.

I'll tell you what, bring in the third stringer. He isn't bad either but I will take him against Finland any day over Brodeur or Luongo. :D

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Oh believe you me, any goalie that lets in any goal when he's wearing the maple leaf on his chest will hear it if it results in a canadian loss.

With that being said I am excited that Brodeur is back in net (allegedly) as he is the goaltender I have the most confidence in. Being a pretty hardcore flames fan I can tell you the task of beating kiprussoff is difficult, but not impossible. Look for thornton's line to just go to the net and cause some havoc in the crease.
I think the game will be decided by a goal, maybe even an overtime goal, but I'm not jinxing anyone by saying who I think will win ;)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Go Canada! No sense carting that cup around any more than necessary... might as well just leave it here!

We all better enjoy tonight's game, since it may be a while before hockey returns to the airwaves. :frowning:

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

True, especially with Lecavalier, Richards and St. Louis on Team Canada's roster. ;)

GO CANADA!!

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Great game by Tuomo Ruutu, unfortunately the finns were just outmuscled down low in their own zone. plus kipper just didn't have it.

that's the intangible that brodeur brings, you know he's going to bring his A game.

i could not believe that the announcers didn't rip Koivu for his failed defense of Doan on the third canadian goal. he was withing grabbing distance of doan and didn't try to do anything besides a weak attempt to raise his stick after he had already scored.

Doan had the best game of anyone on the ice. Incredible effort.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
great win for canada. finland looked great with the exception of getting sloppy in the last 3 minutes of the 3rd. i like to take jabs at thornton sometimes, but i must say he played very well in the tournament. that game winning goal's assist was pretty sweet. i hope his being placed on the checking line in the world cup makes him a stronger player in the nhl. not like we have we have to worry about THAT anytime soon :angry: i dont understand the reasoning the players have for sitting out, they are never ever going to get the money they would be playing for, back. they would have to get substantial raises just to break even, and that would take a few years. if they sit out more than one year, then it is even worse. i hope they dont lose too much of the weaker fan base. anyway, congrats to canada, and congrats to finland. i hope that i just didnt witness the last game of mario lemieux.

CJ

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
not sure if any of you non-canucks were watching cbc but mario was asked after the game if that was the last game he'll play for team canada.
his response was surprising to me at least. he said he didn't think so, he said he'd do everything he could to stay in good shape to lace them up again :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't believe I missed the first two periods, but the third was looking pretty good.

If there is a lockout, I'll be calling the cable company to cancel my service, since hockey's pretty near the only thing cable is good for.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Great game! I was a little disappointed when Smyth was crosschecked in the face and nothing was called. If anyone saw his face after the game they know what I'm talking about.
Stitches, black eye, and a possible broken nose. Not even a minor penalty called.

I understand that the refs were letting the "picks" and everything else go but some things you have to call.

Regardless of all that Finland played a GREAT game! I'm just glad that Canada had Brodeur back in nets. He came up huge when we really needed him.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks