World Cup of Hockey

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew Pratt, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Wow now that was a great game last night between two rivals...great to see Mario dropping the gloves to protect Brodeur

Interesting choice of jersey's too. For those that don't know they were wearing the uniform of the Winnipeg Falcons who won the first Gold medal at the Olympics in Hockey in 1920. There's more info on the Falcons here

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

do U.S. viewers even have a chance to see this?
    as in, is it broadcast down there?

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

It was on ESPN2 last night. The only game I've seen them cover is the USA-Canada game.

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I was wondering about the choice of jersey and what the emblem with Falcons on it meant, thanks for the info. I caught the third period, nice to see Canada win their first game.

5. Ray Gutnick

Ray Gutnick Stunt Coordinator

Ray
    I suspect we'll go back to a more "standard" jersey tonight. Go Canada!

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Yeah, those sweaters were for the first game only. Gretzky thought it would be a nice homage to the Falcons.

Canada plays Slovakia tonight. If they can put in a solid 60 minutes like they did the first 30 last night, Canada should do well.

Roster notes for Canada: Jovanovski, Morrow and Luongo out. Hannan, Draper and Theodore in.

Czech Republic is facing Sweden...in about 15 minutes. I wonder if the Czechs will be able to get out of this funk and actually start playing?

The Czech/Sweden game is on ESPN while the Canada/Slovakia game is on ESPN2 and both are on CBC of course if you can get that.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yeah those jersey's weren't pretty but pretty cool homage non the less.

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

ESPN showed the opening game FIN - CR.

Go Finland!

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

They've got some great players on that team so they should do well [​IMG]

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Yeah, I think Finland will surprise a lot of people this tournament. Plus they have Saku Koivu, there's a plus right there. [​IMG]

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    canada looked pretty good last night, heatley is back in fine form. should be interesting to see if anyone can take down canada, that is a scary roster they have assembled.

CJ

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    wow, what an exciting third period with the Czech's catching up from a 4 goal deficit to score 3 unanswered goals... some great goaltending by tellqvist(?), esp with that one Elias shot from the point through traffic.

13. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    That's true, and we have Thornton now. Oh God, we're doomed!

Just joking, Jeff/Paul. We like him, for now. [​IMG]

14. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure my roommate and I were the only people in the whole state of Maryland watching the USA-Canada game. I found it oddly coincidental that every player on Team Canada's last name was Canada. Wonder if they played it that way?

Anyway, did anyone else find it absolutely hilarious when Bill Clement was talking about Team Canada's forecheck and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Gary Thorne, just thundered in with, "MARIO LEMIEUX!!!!" For those who didn't catch it, it went something like this.

Clement: They play a very aggresive foreche...
    Thorne: MARIO LEMIEUX!!!!

Funny thing is, nothing much really came of the play that Thorne went absolutely bonkers over. Funny stuff.

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yeah,

And "No Show" Joe, who will never show up in important games and is generally a liability to his team (regardless of injuries that were far less severe than the crushed ribcage and collapsed lung that Koivu must have had) is now healthy and 1-1 in two games.[​IMG]

Consistency and non-bias, what a concept among Hockey fans!

BTW, way to drop em' Mario. The big guy is OK in my book.

16. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Canada looks great but I'm worried about the Fins.... They have a great looking team. BTW, CBC is showing every game imaginable![​IMG]

The U.S. team looks poor, and the only thing keeping them in any game is their goalie (Esche). It also looks like Hull is a healthy scratch tonight... Hull Scratched!

GO CANADA GO!!

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Good Hull looked like a bum in the Canada game...actually his worth ethic has seemed weak for some time now...and Chelios..well with the speed the games being played at now he's just not able to keep up anymore.

18. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I almost canceled my dove hunting opener before I learned damn ESPN doesn't show the weekend games. Finland - Sweden would have been a must see. [​IMG]

19. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Did you guys see that Kovalev goal against the US last night? [​IMG] There are only a couple of guys who could do that in practice, much less in a world cup game. The Russians look pretty good, and that goalie no one has ever heard of looks like a find for the Ducks, he was fantastic.
    Looks like I picked the right week to go on vacation to Canada. [​IMG] I wonder how the wife will feel about staying at the hotel to watch Finland - Sweden instead of going out though. I may need to locate a fine restaraunt with a big-ass TV in Montreal.

20. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

The Finland - Sweden game should be amazing! I expect a really fast/close game, but I think Finland will take it.

I just don't trust Sweden's goal-tending to get them through.