What's new

3D World 3D Film Expo III @ Egyptian Theatre (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For the first time in sixty years, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE will be shown in 3-D and widescreen!

This special screening will take place on Sunday, September 15 at the 3-D Expo in Hollywood.

REDHEADS was the first non-anamorphic widescreen film to begin production in Hollywood during the breakthrough year of 1953. Composed for 1.66:1, filming began on March 16, 1953, only twenty days after THE ROBE went before the cameras at Fox.

Released on September 23, 1953, it has not been seen anywhere in widescreen since the original theatrical release.

For more information: http://3-dfilmexpo.c...ds-from-seattle

Here's the original widescreen trailer:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Let's identify the HTF members who are attending the 3D Expo.
My wife and I (bujaki) will be there for the duration. Maybe there's a chance we might meet?
Jose

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Richard--W said:
So, the Egyptian will project The French Line, Inferno, Second Chance and Money From Home in original 3-strip Technicolor / dye-transfer prints. Three strips of film going through each projector. You don't see that everyday.
3-strip technicolor prints do not consist of multiple strips of film. The prints are single strips just like any other print. Or did I miss some very subtle joking on your part ?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Only two 3-D features were photographed with the Dynoptic Technicolor 3-D rig (YCM left/right) using six rolls of film per take:

MONEY FROM HOME
FLIGHT TO TANGIER

All the others that were printed in Technicolor (French Line, Inferno, Second Chance, Fort Ti, WIngs of the Hawk, The Stranger Wore a Gun, Devil's Canyon, Phantom of the Rue Morgue, etc) were photographed on standard Eastman color negative.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Rob W said:
3-strip technicolor prints do not consist of multiple strips of film. The prints are single strips just like any other print. Or did I miss some very subtle joking on your part ?
No, just a badly worded post. Looking it over now confuses even me.

I'll be at every screening.

I wonder if Real D will be handing out active glasses during the first weekend.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Only two 3-D features were photographed with the Dynoptic Technicolor 3-D rig (YCM left/right) using six rolls of film per take:

MONEY FROM HOME
FLIGHT TO TANGIER

All the others that were printed in Technicolor (French Line, Inferno, Second Chance, Fort Ti, WIngs of the Hawk, The Stranger Wore a Gun, Devil's Canyon, Phantom of the Rue Morgue, etc) were photographed on standard Eastman color negative.
Hi Bob,

When you said "Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!" in a earlier post for House of Wax, I thought you were talking about Technicolor.

GregK

Screenwriter
Richard--W said:
I wonder if Real D will be handing out active glasses during the first weekend.
The Real-D showings will be circular polarized. The previous Hondo showing at the Academy was an active shutterglass system and not Real-D.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It may be the only title at the Expo not shown in the correct AR. Gretchen Wayne's 3-D master is 1.37.

All the 35mm prints will be correct however.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Furmanek said:
Not all of those are DCP.

Obviously you guys are getting information I'm not privy to. I was told by personnel at the Egyptian that the entire first weekend would consist of DCP screenings.

So this IS Gretchen Wayne's DCP? The same one we've seen before? She had too many competitors over the Hondo conversion giving her bad and conflicting advice. I anticipate it will look better projected for passive glasses.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
bujaki said:
Hondo @ 1.37 is a disappointment. I was looking forward to the total experience of 3D and OAR.
Of course the intended OAR is preferred, but if you haven't seen HONDO projected in 3-D before you'll still enjoy it regardless of the aspect ratio. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm not closely involved with this event but I know that HOUSE OF WAX, BWANA DEVIL and THE MAZE are all 35mm.

They're going to see if her DCP can be shown widescreen so don't rule that out.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I was told HOUSE OF WAX will be the new DCP Warner Brothers struck for the forthcoming blu-ray, and the same DCP that will be screened at the blu-ray party at the Aero September 29.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm glad to hear that.

Wasn't the 2003 screening a 1980's vintage left/right print?
Is it the same print we're seeing this year?

Wasn't the 2006 screening a newly struck print from Warner Brothers?

It's hard to keep track.

If you know, you might want to identify for us which titles are the DCPs during the first weekend.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Only 7 days to go.

What's playing at the Cinerama Dome the week of the festival, if anything, I wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks