Working with a 8x11 space in an apartment...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MegCHammer, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MegCHammer

MegCHammer Auditioning

Hey guys, I'm Meg, and I'm a newbie. [​IMG]

I live in an apartment with my mom(I'm 19), and my sister recently went to live with her grandparents, leaving her room up for grabs. I saw an opportunity to claim the room and turn it into a dedicated mini-home theater. I'm working with a very small space...8x11, and a *very* limited budget...about $350. I already have an entertainment center, brand new TV(only 20 inches that I bought with my tax return), and a new DVD player. I plan to use my stereo system as a surround sound system. For seating I'm purchasing an all black futon(my sister will still come to visit, so she needs an area to sleep in), and I already have a black moon chair. I bought a black lamp with a built in lava lamp, and framed all of my movie posters. The room will be scattered with other movie memorabilia that I've collected over the years.

I have a few questions about using my space and budget to the best of my ability. I also have limitations...I can't paint the room anything other than white, and can't make any permanent changes, since I'm in an apartment. My favorite feature of a lot of the HT's on here are the twinkling stars in the ceiling. I was wondering if there was a way to get that effect without any construction, and without shelling out a lot of money.

My other question is...do you think a matte made of coreboard and fabric would be a nice effect in my room, or kind of pointless? Obviously, the TV won't be on the floor, and I can't make it appear like it's behind a wall...I would be attaching the matte to the front of my entertainment center(which is black).

Any other suggestions would be great. I'm really concerned about the walls being white and it not having a theater feel because of that.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

"My favorite feature of a lot of the HT's on here are the twinkling stars in the ceiling. I was wondering if there was a way to get that effect without any construction, and without shelling out a lot of money."
    If you're allowed to put a lot of nails in the wall, you could get those Christmas lights that twinkle and get a dimmer switch that you could plug into the wall. Then hang then up really close to the ceiling. I had this in my theatre room before I could convince my parents to get light fixtures.

"My other question is...do you think a matte made of coreboard and fabric would be a nice effect in my room, or kind of pointless? Obviously, the TV won't be on the floor, and I can't make it appear like it's behind a wall...I would be attaching the matte to the front of my entertainment center(which is black)."
    That's more of a personal question. Some people will say no and some say yes. Do what you feel like doing.

"I'm really concerned about the walls being white and it not having a theater feel because of that."
    My current theatre is 2 walls white and one is wooden paneling with all the alls empty of decorations. It still feels like a theatre room, but I want to get it painted.(because white's ugly) I think if you put up some decorations(or sneak paint in and paint white before you leave for a different place *not recommended*) and what not, it will feel more "right"

3. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

In lieu of painting, are you allowed to perhaps hang black fabric on the walls? Or staple up some black wrapping paper or something, for that matter. I mean, you can't paint, but obviously you can hang pictures and such... or you could cover some foamboard in black fabric and hang several large rectangles/squares on the wall to dillute the white.

Just throwing out some random ideas... if your entertainment center is already black, I don't think I'd worry about any matte directly around the TV.

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

A friend once wanted to change the appearance of a NO-PAINT appartment, so he bought some cloth and strips of wood. He made frames tall enough to wedge in between floor and ceiling, using angle bracket and small screws in the corners of the wood strips. Then he covered the frame with the cloth. this only took up an inch or so, and it looked fantastic!

You might make frames like that hanging from the ceiling, and put twinkle lights in, sticking through so the wiring is on the top, and unseen. That would be fewer nail holes to fill later.