working on building a sub with what i have

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cory W, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Cory W

Cory W Auditioning

First off Howdy, and if this is in the wrong place i apologise.

I need help getting the most out of the....well subpar driver and amp i have.

A little background on My project and what were trying to accomplish. Im setting up a HT system out of pieces myself and one roommate have. Out of this is going to come two questions. I currently have a 5.1 system from KLH with an 8" 120 watt sealed sub, and 5 2.5 drivers with tweeters in each. Myhead unit is a pioneer vsx-d711. He has a pair of crates that were givin to him that originaly had a 12",what i beleive is a six, and a 2x4" horn type tweater. One of the Vegas blew, and he got a pair of pyle drivers(im not shure what they are......not real high end im afraid) that should be here soon to replace them. I have the other 12" vega in my room(we were told they were cerwn vegas.....we found similar on ebay claiming to be as well so i assume they are)and i want to use it as a sub(pull the 120 plate aqmp off my 8 inch). We also have a pair of small shelf speakers with 2 6" sony's and a tweater we were considering using for rear channel satelites.

So heres the first question. I want to build a box for this 12" i have here, but i dont know were to start on desinging a box. Size is not realy relative(not like were using alot of room in our living room anyway), and i want it to sound good. I was thinking maybe a large sealed box, but im not shure?

My other question is this. The crates we have are one chamber with two ports in them. Would it be better to seal the sections and the ports off from each other, or should we leave it with one chamber?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Before you can design a box, you need to know a little more about the driver... namely its Thielle/Small parameters.

If you know the manufacturer and model number of the driver... someone here might have that information or at least a link to it on the web someplace. Otherwise, it can be measured by hand.. but, that will involve some equipment to do so and it sounds to me like you're trying to get away with minimum investment here.

Anyway, once you have that info, it's pretty easy to figure out what type of box the driver will work best in.

3. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Cerwin Vegas are great "Dorm" speakers they have great punchy bass for parties. You could turn that into a suport woofer to add some more low end but its not going to work well as a subwoofer. If you want to build a box for the speaker you already have then just duplicate the box it was in. You don't need to know any of the parameters because cerwinvega already did the math for you [​IMG].

For the money I would look into a dayton quatro driver from partsexpress http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-555
    If you put that driver in a ported enclosure you could have a pretty decent sub using your plate amp. The sub costs about $75+shipping

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

4. Cory W

Cory W Auditioning

i dont have 75$ to spend right now

the box it was end was a custom cabinet that was built by a friend of my roommate

5. Cory W

Cory W Auditioning

ok we cant find what model this is. It LOOKS like a CLSC-12S from cerwin vega(well the driver does anyway). But the speakers say 150watt on the bac. Let me take a pic and yall might can help