Work to start on Genesis' "Nursery Cryme" 5.1 SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

From Genesis' official website at www.genesis-music.com...

Work to start on Nursery Cryme 5.1 SACD
    13th April 2005

Nick Davis will start work on the 5.1 re-mix of the classic Nursery Cryme album at The Farm on Thursday 14th April. A visit is planned to see what Nick is up to and, hopefully, to find out progress on the digitising of the Genesis archives currently in progress.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was reading the "Nursery Cryme" SACD notice on the Genesis website and I came across the below....

Atlantic releasing SACD??

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Must be a misprint. Brian Moura's site shows the SACD coming to Europe only, on Charisma records.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wait- I thought SACD was dead?

[​IMG]

I can't wait, although I'm surprised that Nursery Cryme was chosen to follow the Lamb. I would have picked Selling England by the Pound, Trick of the Tail, or Duke next (all my personal faves...).

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Did I miss the release of Lamb? [​IMG]

In all seriousness, this is good news for Genesis fans. Hopefully I won't have to make this an expensive import.

J

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lamb is supposed to be released in Europe only. Last schedule I saw was April 18.

7. andrew markworthy

It's my favourite Genesis album. There are better tracks on other albums without a doubt (though Musical Box is excellent) but I think Nursery Cryme works really well as a complete unit whereas other albums are rather 'bitty'. Having said that, I'm surprised that the next release wasn't either the diehard's favourite (Foxtrot) or the big seller (Invisible Touch).

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Andrew, thanks for the update. I'm happy to see any hi-rez of anything mainstream. Audiophile label issuances are nice and it is always good to have some of that but I look forward to seeing mainstream stuff on SACD or DVD-A and hopefully more current releases like the recent Beck album.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Any Genesis in hi-res is great. (If they ever get around to releasing any of it).[​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I actually just picked up Calling All Stations for kicks. Not my choice for a Genesis hi res release! [​IMG]

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

From Genesis' official website...."Foxtrot" 5.1 SACD re-mix nearly complete, moving onto another yet-to-be-decided album in the Genesis catalog for re-mix to 5.1 surround.

See link in original post to view photos.

So Genesis is considering releasing its entire catalog on SACD?

12. andrew markworthy

It's worthwhile having another look at the Genesis site. There's an audio file to donwload in which Geoff the engineer talks about the huge set of concert recordings that are being digitised. The key points of the interview:

(1) The later recordings are off the soundboard with in some cases audience noise mixed in, but the early ones are simple portable cassette recordings (i.e. not dissimilar to the bootlegs of the period)

(2) There are definite plans to make the recordings available on the Genesis website [but please, not like the Queen ones!]. The group members are keen on the idea (indeed, they have supplied most of the tapes).

(3) The recordings are being transferred onto hard disc where they will be 'cleaned up'. Some of the cassette tapes will also need baking before they can be played.

(4) There was an interesting comment that at the moment archival work has been halted to deal with the 5.1 *mixes*. The way in which this was said makes it sound as if there are plans to issue all or a lot of the albums in 5.1, and not just one or two.

13. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'll be first in line if Lamb or Nursery Cryme ever get released.