WORDS OF ADVICE : “If you want the best bass from your sub don’t be lazy”

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin*Harley, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

When I initially set up my system I placed my sub in some traditional locations and a few others but limited my experimentation. I was so pleased with the current results that couldn’t imagine another location in the room would sound better. The thought of rearranging the furniture, buying a longer cable and an additional surge protector kept me complacent.
    We are putting wood in our home so last night I had to move some furniture and take my system apart for preparation. Considering I had to move things regardless, I tried the 2 sub placements I neglected. The last location I tried blew me away. Don’t get me wrong, I was extremely happy and impressed with the amount of bass and clarity my sub had been producing. However, now the bass was tighter, cleaner and louder that ever before. Sounds crazy, but I felt like I had just purchased a new sub.
    Unfortunately, I had less than 30 min. to play with my “new sub” and my HT will be boxed up for the next week until the wood floor is finished. That should give me enough time to get a longer sub cable and an additional surge protector.

Learn from my mistake.

“If you are going to invest in a decent sub, make sure to invest the time and energy necessary to get your monies worth.”

I'm just glad I didn’t wait a year or two for wood flooring.

Kevin

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Unfortunatly, after the wood floors are in that may not be the best place. The wood floor will dramatically change your room response. I think you would be best to start you search all over from the beginning. Any time you change anything (and wood floor are a big thing) you should always start the calibration from scratch, including the location of the sub.

4. Kevin*Harley

I had a feeling that would be the case. In addition to room response, will wood flooring give my room a different sound (ie. brighter) or is each situation unique?

ps. Should I put some sort of insulation between the sub and the wood floor? Not concerned about scratching the floor but vibration.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, your room will become noticably brighter, as you now have another surface that will reflect more sound back into the room. You likely will want to seek some sort of treatments for the walls, possibly cieling (if the WAF allows) and well placed rugs for the floor. I have a friend who has no carpeting, with Paradigm Studios all around, and it is almost too bright.

You can get spikes for the sub, such as these:
    [​IMG]
    with pads to protect the floor.

www.partsexpress.com pn# 240-715 (shown), -716, -717, and -718

6. Kevin*Harley

We have a very large rug that will cover the majority of the room that should help but there is no way (WAF) I could put anything on the ceiling other than paint. I definitely don't want "too bright" so I will do everything possible within the WAF.

I'm planning on using spikes and pads for my speakers but never thought of them for my sub. My sub weighs about 95lbs., do you think they will be necessary?

7. John Garcia

John
    Wow, 95lbs is pretty darn heavy. You will have to see if there is resonance in the floor from direct contact from the sub. If so, then I would recommend the spikes. If the floor and/or nearby items are not rattling, you probably don't need them.

I have spikes, and things in my room still rattle when I crank it up [​IMG]

8. Kevin*Harley

If I end up having to use spikes, the thought of drilling into the bottom of my sub to attach them doesn’t sit well with me. Is there an easier way (ie. adhesive). What type of sub do you have and how did you attach them?

9. John Garcia

John
    I used adhesive (something from 3M, don't remember what, doesn't leave a residue). The weight of the sub keeps the spikes in place, and the adhesive is strong enought to hold them on when moving the sub around. There was no way I was going to drill holes in my sub either.

10. Kevin*Harley

John,
    Thanks for the input.

ps. what happended to your "car guy" signature? When not listening to HT I too find myself on the track as often as possible.

11. John Garcia

John
    haha, nothing happened to it, sometimes I leave it out if I am posting in the same thread repeatedly. I totalled my fun car, so I don't see much track time, and I drive a beater now. A couple of my friends started Speedring, and I was working there as a mechanic on the side there for a while to help out, so I have the link there.

You can get creative with wall treatments as well - you don't have to use relatively ugly or bland acoustic panels, you can let the significant other become involved by having her find some kind of fabric/rug wall hanging that will serve as both decoration and acoustic treatment.

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I just want to chime in about the sub and movement..

It most likely will move.. My sub weighs in at 75 to 80
    pounds (DIY sealed 12") and before I put my feet on I just
    wanted to test run it.. I have carpeting and when running
    test tone's it decided to go for a walk... It moved about
    a foot untill it worked it's self back into the corner of
    the wall and had no where to go.. It was truly comical
    watching something so heavy do the jig across the floor.

I added oak legs to the enclosure and then put billet alloy
    spikes into the oak legs. It moves no more!

Those PE spikes are very nicely manufactured and would serve
    you well to keep your subwoofer put...

Hey John,

What was your "toy" car that you wrecked? (Sorry to hear
    about it...) I am a diehard car nut.. I don't race my cars
    on a road course (I would love to do that someday) I do on
    occasion take them to the straight line. But I enjoy toolin
    around the twisty back country roads where I live, in 3rd
    and 4th gear.... Real fun [​IMG]

13. John Garcia

John
    OK, now totally Off Topic; My fun car was a modified 2000 Integra Type R. Yes, it is FWD, but it handled great for FWD, very ballanced, but could be a bit squirly in the rear. 200Hp doesn't sound like a lot until you combine it with a 2700lb car [​IMG]. Acceptably quick in a straight line, but it shined in the twisties; a confident canyon carver, with excellent brakes.

Unfortunately, I overstepped the limits of the car and myself, and rolled it a few times at a rather high rate of speed down an embankment. [​IMG] (I have pics) Glad and lucky to still be here. Have fun, but keep it safe. [​IMG] I'll settle for Speedring for the time being.

14. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Ohh shoot you had a Type-R... I bet all the little ricer
    kids would NOT leave you alone.. I mean the real Type-R is
    every "boy racer's" dream machine!

Yes the Type-R's are very ballanced very good performing
    cars! (unlike the stock Integra that the kid down the road
    puts a Type-R decal on..)

It's a shame you crashed but it can happen to the best of
    em.. I have had some close calls in my canyon carver. Thank
    god for Active Handling.. Because at least when I screw up
    there is a chance that the computer can correct my bad
    driving [​IMG] Mind you I don't rely on it.. But it's nice
    knowing that it can do things I can not do (like use a
    single brake caliper to induce over or understeer to
    correct for the opposite condition.

I have had AH kick in one time.. I nailed a 90 degree
    sweeping bend perfectly.... But little did I know that
    gravel had accumulated in one spot.. I hit it.. The rear
    stepped way out, then all the sudden the throttle relaxed
    and the car corrected.. My co-pilot said "OMG what just
    happened?" I explained, that's the 20K price difference
    between this and your Camaro SS.. He agreed with me from
    that moment on!

I hope you get your paws on another twisty machine soon..
    I couldn't imagine being without a weekend toy!

15. John Garcia

John
    Hehehe, my beater is RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Still fun in the turns, but less power to get in trouble with, and a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth from having to recover from my injuries.

Yes, I actually started to hate the R, becuase EVERY riceboy wanna-be felt he had to race me, much to the dismay of most of them. [​IMG] (but you never know what is lurking, I've been surprised a few times). I embarassed a lot of more expensive cars, and had a lot of fun with those arrogant drivers who really didn't know what they are doing.

Waiting to drive ther RX-8....

16. Kevin*Harley

The thought of my wife’s face watching a 95lb., black cube dancing across her new wood floors would not be pretty. That may be a very wise $20 investment.

I currently have carpet spikes on my fronts. Can I buy floor disc separately and use the spike that came with my speakers or do I need to buy matching cones and pads?

Ps. Car guy here too( RWD) !!! My first track event on a road course hooked me for life. Not sure where you live but here in CA we have a handful of great tracks. Find a local track or car club and put yourself behind the wheel. 3rd and 4 gear through the canyon roads are a blast but can’t compare to throttle steering around your first 10% banked sweeper at 90+ mph or negative camber turn with computer big brother turned off . John, I did a couple laps at Buttonwillow in a gutted Type R and they are a blast. I better stop before they move this thread to another website.

17. John Garcia

John

18. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have an SVS I use on wood floors, but I have never had a need to use spikes or anything. My biggest headache is it is next to a window with heavy shutters which rattle sometimes. Nothing much I can do, it is really the best spot in the room for the sub.

On the car topic [​IMG], I got a new Honda S2000 back in October which I just adore. I have done plenty of driving out in the beautiful twisty Austin roads, but have not yet taken it to an autocross or track event (no time or money!). I have a hardtop for it that I keep on most of the time, but I take it off for weekend driving.

19. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

See Autocross wouldn't cut it for me..

My car wants open road, so for me Atlanta or Taledega would
    be my choice but Road Racing get's very expensive.. Figure
    after one weekend I would have to replace all 4 rotors,
    pads and fluid plus most likely tires.. That's damn near
    two grand... To pricey for me..

It sure would be fun though!

Congrats on the S2K

20. John Garcia

John
    *Extra set of lighweight rims + track (re:sticky, Kumhos, Hoosiers, BFG KDWs, etc..., shaved& heat cycled) tires. If you are easy on tires, they can last 2-3 events or one weekend.
    *Good idea to replace fluid the day before, as well as after, the track event anyway [​IMG].
    *heavy duty rotors (handle more heat) for track day; swap the day before (or run them all the time)
    *pads are going to wear out no matter what. LOL.

Track day can cost even *more* than parts. My buddy had a Viper shooting oil on the track right in front of him, which ended up putting his Zanardi edition NSX into the wall with over $7k of damage. The price you sometimes pay to play.