Woohoo, Panny 53WX42 is on the way

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I have to curse and thank Bank of America at once!
    Saturday I ordered a Panny 47WX42 from OneCall. I'd been waiting for the 53 to get back in stock for a while and finally decided to just get the 47.
    Late this morning I received an email informing me that my debit card had been declined! Grrr! So I called OneCall and read them the # - it was right. After wrangling with Bank of America for an hour they basically came back with a nonsensical answer that implied no debit card can be used for purchases of over $1500 without your being there in person. WHATEVER, I know that's a crock, they're clueless about their own damn bank.
    So I call back OneCall and have them check the # again. Still looks good. Then I ask them what the expiration shows. There we go! Off by 2 years. So I tell them what the correct # is.
    I get back to work (this all transpired on the cellphone) and check my email - Get this. I find another email from OneCall informing me the 53WX42 is now back in stock! AAAAAAAAAAH! So I call them back AGAIN and have them change the order from a 47WX to a 53WX and pray that the charges go through this time around.
    And they do! My TV is on the way. [​IMG] So it all ended up working out for the best, I can't wait for it to arrive. I also ordered a copy of Avia and of course the man himself, Gregg Loewen will be arriving here to do a calibration either in August or October. Can you say "Movie night at my house!" ? [​IMG]

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Thanks, Tony, your posts regarding the Panasonic TVs were part of my decision process. I read pretty much every panny-related thread I could find on here, avsforum, hometheaterspot and panny.tv. It really did come down to a coin toss between the Toshiba 50H82 and the Panny. In the end it was the fact I found myself working up an elaborate scheme to use an HTPC to scale my DVD player's output to 540p to get around the Tosh's scaling - the cost and expense of it seemed silly. I'm still building an HTPC but now it will serve as a music hub rather than the main source of DVD. I got an RP91 for that.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Please tell me how you enjoy your Panny 53's. I've been debating over buying one of these or a Sony 51 or Hit 43. I can get the Panny the cheapest and at a very good price, but just have not decided on it yet. I've played with it many times, but in dark scenes sometimes, like on Shrek, I see a shimmer. Not sure how to get rid of it, and if it can be done, please tell me and I will have made my decision.

4. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Congrats! I am debating between the Panny, Tosh 50H82 and the JVC. Let me know how the Panny looks when calibrated!

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

The Panny 53WX42 is a terrific set. I chose it over the Tosh 50H82, the Sony 52HW40, & similar Mits sets. The main attractions to the Panny are its price, native 480p & tweakability.

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Tony is right about the "full calibration thing".

4 of the 5 WORST TVs I have worked on have been Panasonics. However, they look awesome once tweeked out.

Gregg

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter