1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Woohoo! My first HD-ready RPTV coming tomorrow! (A few simple Questions...)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam Pat, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums for the past month or so, reading and doing whatever research I could before buying my first HD-ready TV.

I'm quite a newb as far as AV goes, so this is quite a big step for me. Until now, I've been using crappy TVs.

Until today, I've been looking at the Panasonic PT47WX52. However, I found a nice deal this morning for the Panasonic PT47WX42, which is the exact same model except without the screen protector and with 2 speakers less. It's also got a smaller remote. But it's several hundred dollars cheaper. I also got an in-store credit for $250 CDN (free with the purchase), which I quickly spent on a Panasonic Progscan DVD player and some component cables.

I've read most of the beginner's primer and the merged Burn-in thread. However, I still have some lingering questions. If they were mentioned elsewhere please forgive me.

1.) I've been used to crappy TVs, so I have no idea how to keep the screen clean beyond using a damp towel. Do these TVs have special screens that need different care to keep clean?

2.) Surge protectors. I've been told this is a must. Will any 10 dollar powerbar I find at the local drugstore do the job? They all claim to have "surge protection". Is there more to it?

3.) What should I do first? I know that the first thing I shold do is turn down the brightness and contrast from torch mode. I recall a site that suggested "turn it down to no more than 75% of what the TV is capable of". Is this adequate?

4.) Calibration. I have yet to acquire one of these calibration disks. Will it be safe to watch the TV in the meantime without calibration, provided I keep brightness/contrast down and keep static images to a minimum?

5.) 100 hour run-in period? Is this actually necessary? And what would you do during this period?

Sorry about all the questions, but I really wanna take care of this TV. It ain't exactly cheap. :b

Boy, I'm super excited. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

THANKS!!

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Congrats. [​IMG]

I have the 53wx42 myself.

To answer your questions:

1. I just use a dry, soft cloth most of the time on the lenticular screen and gently work at any smudges and dry dirt. Use a damp cloth when necessary, but no abrasive cleansers. Yes, it's very different from the glass screen you're used to on a direct-view, but it seems easy enough to keep clean in general.

2. Definitely get a surge protector. Not sure what works best or is "good enough", but I just use a low-end, computer grade surge protector from APC. Of course, I did also buy an extended warranty (for once!), which insures against power surges.

3. Switch picture mode from Vivid (ie. torch mode) to Cinema, and that should automatically reset your Picture setting (ie. contrast) and Brightness also down to ~50% already -- but you should make sure that's the case. If you're concerned, turn the contrast and brightness down to ~40%. Also, adjust color temperature from Cool to either Normal or Warm -- I prefer Warm.

Other things I'd do is turn off Natural Color, Video NR and VM (ie. SVM) although these things are not crucial for avoiding burn-in.

4. Should be fine to watch (and enjoy!) the TV w/out proper calibration as long as you take the proper precautions. And I'd suggest to keep game playing to a minimum or play at lower contrast/brightness settings.

5. The 100-hour period refers to likelihood of TV breakdown and also the initial period when convergence will drift frequently. Thus, you may not want to do a very complete/thorough tweaking of the TV like trying to perfect fine convergence/geometry until after that period just because you'll have to keep adjusting for the drift. Also, the overall brightness of the TV will decrease noticeably. After this period, the TV settles into a much more stable state.

All this is also why you shouldn't get ISF calibration during this period. But do feel free to enjoy the TV and at least do basic calibration and basic convergence, if nothing else.

Again, congrats and enjoy! [​IMG]

_Man_

3. Sam Pat

Man-Fai Wong,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

Much appereciated.

[​IMG]

4. Sam Pat

Just remembered one last thing...

During a search on these forums, someone mentioned that Surge protectors only work once (i.e. they protect your devices against a power surge once only, afterwards they offer no protection).

With that said, how do you know when/if your surge protector has already been used up?

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Usually, the surge protector has an indicator for whether it still works.

_Man_

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    BTW, I believe all the reputable surge protectors also come w/ insurance against certain types of power surges -- at least my APC ones do.

_Man_

7. Sam Pat

Man-Fai (and anyone else who might be able to help),

I've had the TV for 2 days now and I've just noticed a problem.

With all signals (TV Cable or Component Video from my DVD player), anything and everything I watch has horizontal lines across the screen in a periodic fashion. When you are close to the screen, they are very visible and very obvious. They are dark reddish in colour, and are very steady. They look very much like the scan lines you see on non-progressive TVs.

What do you think is going on? Since you have a PT53, perhaps you can tell me whether this is normal.

I didn't notice it after several hours of viewing because they aren't obvious unless you are close to the screen. But once you get close, it's very much there.

Here are some pictures I took. The pictures make the lines look black (and EXACTLY like NTSC interlacing) but they are really reddish in colour and very steady (unlike NTSC).

These were taken off the Three Kings DVD but everything else has the same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sam Pat

PS, I went back to the store and the display model DIDN'T exhibit any of these lines. They had different ambient lighting and they were in torch mode, but I don't think that matters.

Is my TV defective?

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Sam,

What viewing mode is your TV set to? It looks like you may be viewing in "zoom" mode instead of "full". This mode is only for non-anamorphic DVD's. Make sure you set your DVD player to 16:9 output (very important) and watch all anamorphic DVD's in "full" mode (no zoom, no stretch). These are definately scanlines and a zoom mode will make them highly noticable.

P.S. I do not know the official name odf the modes on your tv, so you may have to consult the manula for translation. Look for the mode that displays with no zoom and no stretch.

10. Sam Pat

Jeff,

It was indeed in zoom mode. You're right. Zoom mode makes things much worse, as discussed in my other thread here.

Thanks for the response!

Sam