What's new

WOOHOO ...Go VOLS !!! (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I'm a lifelong Michigan fan. I didn't believe that the Wolverines deserved to play in a New Years Day game. Feeling proved to be correct!

Great game by the Vols. Too bad they didn't make it to the Rose Bowl. They might have given Miami a challenge!

Van Patton

Second Unit
Awesome game! Good to know there are some Vol fans here on the HTF! My uncle and aunt were at the game in Orlando and said they had the whole row to themselves after the Michigan fans left about 20 min. into the game. I was at the SEC Championship and saw them get a beating. Good to see 2002 off to a great start.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I echo Dennis' comments. I'm a Michigan fan and didn't believe that they deserved a January 1st bowl. They were outmatched/outmanned. The SEC destroyed the Big Ten in the bowl games this year. OUCH!!! :frowning:

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Woohoo! I really get to stick it to my friends in Ann Arbor now! :D I've told them for years that UM couldn't hold up to the "Orange Crush" but they just didn't believe me. Well, I guess the truth has set them free. ;)
Man, I'd give anything to have that LSU game back. Considering how we played yesterday, there's no doubt in my mind that a title game against this year's Miami team would have been one for the ages.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jerry,
Don't get too excited about beating this Michigan team. As others have said above, this is not one of the better Wolverine teams in recent years. While Tennessee was BCS-caliber this season, Michigan should have been going to one of the lesser bowls (maybe the one that Michigan State went to when they should have been staying home :) ).

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Scott,
I don't understand your reasoning. Mich St won their bowl game, and made a good showing of themselves against a decent Fresno St team. They more than deserved their bowl bid, especially since they beat the Wolverines in one of the most exciting games of the year.
And as far as I'm concerned, the win against Michigan isn't what's impressive... I figured that would happen, we have too many weapons. It's the way we beat the Wolverines that was unreal, 45-17 and handing Mich their worst bowl loss ever.
Of course, the main reason for this is simple, Carr screwed up. He tried putting 8 players in the box to stop TN from running the ball (which they accomplished), unfortunately someone forgot to tell him that Clausen is one of the most efficient passers in the NCAA (>64%). Compound that with the Vols having two of the best wide receivers in school history (Stallworth and Washington) and the best receiving tightend in the nation (Witten), there really wasn't much hope.
I figured the complextion of the game would change after halftime, Carr would move the safeties into zone coverage, keep the corners man-to-man, and keep the middle LB at home to protect against Witten making catches across the middle. Well, none of this happened. IMO, he was terrified of Travis Stevens and had seen the film of the TN vs Fla game where Stevens ran for over 220 yds (the only other RB to ever do that against Fla was Herschell Walker) against the best run defense in the SEC.
So, am I excited? Yes. Absolutely. And if for no other reason than the fact that everyone that I mentioned in the above paragraphs (except Stevens) will be back next season and 9 out of the 12 games we play next year will be in the state of TN. Woohoo! :D Next year TN will play for their 2nd BCS title in 5 years. Life is good! :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
64%).
Actually, I think that Carr is one of the most underrated coaches in college ball. This game was such a mismatch that it really did not matter what Carr did -- UM was not going to win. Had they dropped back to play the pass, Tennessee would have run all over them, as many opponents did in the regular season. Michigan's strength on defense is their pass rush, so forcing the Vols to pass was not a bad strategy. They were simply outmanned.

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Go Big Orange!!

The pre-game hype was big here, since Lloyd Carr is actually from little Hawkins County, TN...ironically not far from where Spurrier is from. He still has family in East Tennessee, and they were quoted in the media as saying that they were pulling for the Vols!

I saw all of the home games this year, and went to Notre Dame to see them play. It's good to finally see the Vols put it all together.

I hope you're right, Jerry, but I'm afraid one or both of the receivers, as well as Haynesworth, will declare for the draft. I guess we'll see next week. Even if all three leave, the Vols should be loaded next year. Munoz may be back (though the inside word is that his playing days might be over), Respert will be back. The RB stable will be overflowing, especially with the addition of Gerald Riggs.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Tony

Van Patton

Second Unit
Well we can look forward to Riggs. RBHS ,the school where Riggs plays, is about 1000 feet from where I'm typing this now. Listening to the sports guys on ESPN radio and the local shows here ,plus in my own opinion, Washington and Haynesworth aren't going to the NFL. I mean Washington is talking about himself now in 3rd person saying things like, "Look at Kelley's body. Kelley is such a great physical specimen." If they waited another 2-3 yrs. they would make another 5 mill. or more. I recommended ya'll listening to SportsTalk on Link Removed 102.3FM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks