Woohoo! EPoX 8KHa+ is alive...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've got my EPoX 8kHA+ alive and working now, except for my external modem which I think I'll install tomorrow after some burning in. The 11/15/01 "U" labelled BIOs is running OK so far, installation was a breeze as finally everything actually worked as it should. I installed the 4IN1 drivers for Win2k except for the IDE update since I don't have any IDE devices, I installed the Audio drivers and everything went well.

My question is that my new PSU, an Enermax 350W unit I believe has a 3-pin thermal monitoring connector on it but it doesn't seem the 8KHA+ has any kind of pin for it, is this true? I think the Enermax's fan on the bottom of the PS is supposed to adjust it's speed based on the CPU temp, is that controlled via that 3-prong connector or am I mistaken?

I'm sure I'll have other questions and stuff but right now, I'm just happy it runs. Does anybody know what's a good CPU warning temperature to set in the BIOS??? There's a warning temp and a shutdown temp and I'm not sure what's good values to set it as, here's my setup:

Enlight 7237 mid-tower (with Enlight 300W PS replaced)

Enermax 350W PSU

AMD 1.0gig/266 CPU +HSF

EPoX 8KHa+ mainboard "U" bios 11/15/01 date

256MB Crucial DDR Ram

Abit Siluro GeForce2 MX200 32MB video card

Adaptec 2940U SCSI card

Jay

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jay, I returned my 8kha+ as you probably know- but I'm pretty sure that the 3 pin from the powersupply (I have the same one as well) is the electric supply and voltage regulator for the 2nd power supply fan, the 90mm on the bottom.

The manual lists the 3 pins as Com, Fan Voltage, Fan Monitor- this would be consistant with any type of 3 pin fan unit- like a processor fan. This would allow the motherboard to monitor and control the RPM of the 90mm fan on the bottom of the supply.

There are a couple extra 3 pin fan jacks on that board. I don't have mine handy (it's RMA on its way back)- but I know I was able to connect to the board no problem. Teh manual suggest connecting this to the 3 pin fan jack on the board.

My power supply also has a small green tipped white cable that appears to be a thermal sensor for the 80mm fan inside the powersupply.

-Vince

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Vince, thanks, I found out that the CPU fan is also speed controlled by the CPU temp, I thought it was simple a power source, The fan in the Enermax does still spin without that probe attached but I will go ahead and hook it up to the Fan connector underneath the 20-pin ATX power line...

I just installed my modem and now I can use my PC again, yeah! I read that link you gave from overclockers.com, seems like some people had to pull their Bios out of their socket and replace it with a new chip. Check your Bios when you get your new one, mine has a "U-" (or it might be an equal sign cause the top one is faded) on it and mine has a manufacturer date of 11/15/01. It's running great now.

I'm going to try to start a game of CivIII soon and that will be my final test before I start learning about all those new BIOs options I've never seen before.

Thanks for the info and good luck with your return.

Jay

4. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Vince, I'm sorry to hear that the EPoX board didn't work for you. I know this was probably answered on another thread but are you going to get a replacement board or a different board altogether?.

My buddy is about to build his first new system with the EPoX 8KHA+ board. He is buying it based on my good experience with it. I hope that EPoX or Newegg (I think that is where you said you bought it) takes care of you otherwise my friend, and others, would do well to shop elsewhere.

Michael.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    FYI, Newegg has been pretty good when it comes to RMA stuff. They don't hassle you at all, if you say it's defective they'll just issue you an RMA right then and there. I've sent back the following so I think I'm pretty authoritative on this regard:

1 Shuttle Ak31 mb (twice, the first one was defective, the second one just didn't work and I got credit and NO restocking fee)

1 Crucial 256MB DDR Ram (just in case)

1 Enlight 300W PSU (I removed this from the case and sent just the PSU since the case is fine, the PSU I think might have been bad, I think they're sending me a Sparkle 300W one since they don't carry Enlight PSUs which would be cool cause Sparkle seems to be a more refutable mfg than Enlight, plus the Enlight case and PSU was $47, cheaper than many PSUs just by itself so how much could that PSU cost, even though it's AMD certified.)

Anyway, Newegg has sent me the replacements FedEx Standard Overnight and once when they forgot to include my RAM, they sent another one priority overnight immediately.

Although I have less than high regards of the Shuttle board I got, newegg, to their credit has been very positive for me.

Jay

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi Vince, I sent back both and they sent me back both items, although I didn't ask them to test them. From my impression before I even bought the Shuttle, they don't seem very technically inclined, just a retailer and that's it. When I purchased the order, I asked them if they knew of any problems with the stuff I was ordering from them, since I was ordering everything for a new system except for the Peripherals and SCSI card which I was taking from my old one and they just said they do not provide any technical support, that I would have to ask the manufacturer. Also, when I RMA'ed the Shuttle Mobo, I had to describe to the CSR what the thermal paste was for so I have no idea if they actually did tests on the stuff I sent back. I figure since a stick of RAM hardly weighs anything, it's not much a big deal to send back both at the same time. By the turnaround time at which I got the new items, I doubt they tested the ones I sent back, they just sent me new ones from their stock.

Jay