What's new

Woohoo ... 1st poster. best 36" analog direct view set. thanks! (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Do I get a prize? :D Was wondering what the general consesus was on the best sub $750 36" direct view set was. Looking for my go between till HDTV is standard. Hope this new little area get some visitors. :) Was thinking about the Sharp 36" tube. Would like a good picture. Sound unimportant. Also s-video. Thanks

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
As the second poster I will recommend looking at the JVC 36" which also has a component input along with an s-video input.

And I am really happy with my GE 31", and I also liked the GE 36", has all inputs.

Check out the Sony's too.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
In this size I'd look at JVC, Tosh, Hitachi, and Panasonic. The Panny and Hitachi can be the sleepers in the crowd. The best thing for me is to go someplace that you can see the sets side-by-side setup reasonably (not CC or BB if possible). See which one looks the best...I've done this with my last 3 or 4 TVs and got different brands in different sizes (Hitachi in 60", Tosh in 35", JVC in 27", and Hitachi in 27") over the last couple of years. If you can find a place where the TVs are setup nicely you're eyes will guide you. sometimes the good guys are the best for that, but they are usually too much.

If you're in the Bay Area, Seattle, or Portland go to Video Only the beat everyones prices and setup their TVs nicely.

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Proscan 36' non-HDTV set and it is superb. Even thoe it is not under $750 more like $1200 I would definetly recommend it to anyone who could afford it.

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Jason I would check out the Toshiba models these are my personal favorites and u can do the squeeze trick in the service menu.
Later Haywood :cool:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would just add to also take a look at Samsung. From what I saw over at audioreview.com I understand most of the better Samsung models from 20" to 36" will do the squeeze trick for dvd's by selecting it in the tv's menu sustem. Plus they have component, S-Video & composite inputs. The big thing I like about the Samsung sets are they have more audio watts than most of the sets plus bass, trebble & balance controls which a lot of the cheaper models don't have. My first pick would be a JVC though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks