woofer replacement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Mar 8, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

Hi all,

just have a question for you. i have a home theater system and i have an 8 year old pair of Pinnacle speakers that i'm using for the surrounds. the 6" woofers in these are in bad shape, all the foam encircling the outer edge is cracked and disintegrating. i bought to replacement woofers to replace them. here is my question. first, the total existing speaker impedence is only 6 ohms. the woofers that i bought are 8 ohms will this be a problem? also the Pinnacle speaker is rated at 100watts but the woofer i'm putting in is only rated at 40watts rms or 80 watts peak. could their be a problem their. also will i do damage to the crossover stuff, tweetr etc. by adding this woofer. thanks

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Replacement speakers need to be carefully matched to the old system. Companies such as http://www.madisound.com and others offer such services.
    Buying a generic replacement driver that's the same size is most likely a recipe for failure or terrible sound.

3. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    Unfortunately, what ThomasW has said is true. If the only problem is rotted foam surrounds, Parts Express and others sell kits to replace them. The cost is modest. There are also companies who will do the job for you; NewFoam and Simply Speakers come to mind...