woofer dimple on JBL

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chuck_W, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

I just received a JBL EC35 that I bought from an online vendor. One of the woofers has a small dimple in it. The box was not damaged so I don't think it was shipping damage. You can see a picture of it at:

http://swbg1.tripod.com/jbl.htm

Is this something worth the hassle of returning or not a problem?

Thanks.

2. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Chuck,

Looks like a minor dent in the dust cap. I don't think something like that would affect the voice coil or how the speaker performs. So it's just an aesthetic problem.

I actually had the same problem on one of my JBL E100's (have a 2 year old) and I took a piece of scotch tape and applied it to the middle of the dent. I then gently pulled on the tape and the dent popped right out.

Hope this helps. You should be very happy with the EC35.

With regards,
    Darren

3. John S

John S Producer

Nope, try the tape or even a shop vac.. I'll bet you pop it right out. As was already posted, thats the dust cover and has no effect of the drivers performance.

4. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks Darren and John....

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, the dust cap is an integral factor in the driver's performance, but that tiny dimple should not be of any significance. I've recently been reading a lot about driver design and I never thought the dust cap was of any importance either, but I was mistaken.

I'd avoid the shop vac method personally, because if you have a strong one you could crease the cap, but masking tape works great.

6. John S

John S Producer

yes, I should of added that extreme care needs to be taken with the shop vac method. They are way powerfull. I usually try to restrict flow some even if I resort to it and usually only needed for the worst of dust cap pushed in situations.

Good call there John Garcia for sure.