Woody Gutherie Albums

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witko, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

I am really interested in starting to explore the music of Woody Gutherie but I am not really sure where to start. Should I get a greatest hits album, if so which one? Should I buy a particular album to start off with, also which one? I am really asking for some recommendations right now. If anyone has any please reply and give me your suggestions it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

There are two reasonably-priced boxed sets out there.
    The Asch Recordings, Vols. 1-4
    Library of Congress Recordings, Vols. 1-3
    I own The Asch Recordings and would recommend it. It consists of 4 discs, each with a certain theme. The liner notes are extensive, fully describing each track. The sound is probably as good as it's going to get.
    All four of those discs are available separately so if you don't want to dive in with a boxed set, start with disc 1. The All Music Guide raves about this disc and I think it's an excellent place to start.
    I have not heard the Library of Congress set but it's equally regarded.

3. Bill cc

Bill cc Agent

The Dust Bowl Ballads is really good... probably the best "real album", not a compilation.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

The Dust Bowl Ballads is a very nice Guthrie recording. The CD relays the music nicely, but it is obvious this disc was not given the greatest care during the recording process and over the years, but still well worth it.

It is available at BMG as well, so if you are looking to buy the CD at regular price anyway, you might as well join and get 12 discs for a decent price.

J

5. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them a little and then make a purchase. I am leaning toward the compilation to just get a taste of the music and then if I really like it I will buy some albums. I really appreciate all the suggestions. This forum rocks.